Ceiling Fan Wiring

Users who are viewing this thread

David D

Reaction score
I have a SMC fan motor with four wires,by pairing two sets of wires I'm able to run the motor CCW, changing the pairing will run the motor CC.
I'm wanting to add the capicator to increase the speed.
Where would the capicator be incerted t odo this

David D

Bill Arden

Computer Programmer
Reaction score
Website
www.billarden.com
Some celling fans will run faster if you shorten or flatten the blades.

Try running it without the blades to see what it's unloaded speed is.

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
Some celling fans will run faster if you shorten or flatten the blades.

Try running it without the blades to see what it's unloaded speed is.

by doing this to gain more speed will the fan move more air or will the air flow be about the same

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
The POWER (Watts) required by a fan varies approximately (theoretically) as the third power of the speed. Therefore, increasing the speed by only 10% increases the power requirement by 1.1 cubed = 1.331; or an increase of 33 percent. Since power= Volts x Amps, that means you need 33% more Amps.

Now resistive heat loss in the windings varies as current squared x resistance. The resistance is approximately constant, (actually increases slightly with temperature), so the heating increases as Amps squared, or 1.33 squared = 1.77. That means that a 10% increase in speed will increase the heating in the windings by 77%.

If you increase the heating in the windings by 77% you will eventually cause failure of the insulation of the windings. That will produce a short circuit - much sparks and smoke - until it (you hope) trips the circuit breaker.

Now, you are the one to decide if you really want to increase the speed of the fan motor.

David D

Reaction score
The capicitors ,1.5 and 3.0 UF were initially in the circuit through a three position switch. I don't know how to wire them back into the circuit.

David D.

David D

Reaction score
Bob,
This fan came with a three position pull switch. when I received it the wiring was already dismantled. I can pair the fan wiring to made the fan run CW or CCW.
I don't know how to wire the capicator in to chane the speed

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
Your first post on 3/28 said that you wanted to insert a capacitor to increase the speed.

My post on 3/30 was in response to that first post. It explained why increasing the speed beyond the maximum speed for which the fan and motor were selected or designed will result in destruction of the motor and could cause a fire.

If you are simply trying to replace capacitors to restore the fan/motor to an original factory condition, we don't have enough information to give you that answer.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks