Having Toto Ultramax installed tomorrow yet have big question. Help!

Users who are viewing this thread

JeffZX

Reaction score
I just looked at the dimensions of my bathroom and saw where my sink counter, which extends pat the toilet, juts out 8 and 1/2 inches from the wall. Is the distance from the bank of the Toto tank to the back of the seat greater than 8 and 1/2 inches so that while sitting on the toilet a person's back will be against the toilet and not against the jutting out sink counter? Thanks!

(I don't have the toilet in my possession yet, so I am not able to measure the distance from the back of the tank to the where the toilet seat would be).

Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
You can get dimensional spec sheet for toto toilets on their website.

By the way, have you determined that the toilet tank will fit UNDER that banjo shelf?

JeffZX

Reaction score
You can get dimensional spec sheet for toto toilets on their website.

By the way, have you determined that the toilet tank will fit UNDER that banjo shelf?

Thanks. I looked at the spec sheet but did not see a dimension from the back of the tank to the where the seat cover is located.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The drawings are to scale, so you can measure the drawing and get a very close approximation.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
My Drakes were installed with 12 1/4" roughins, and the back of the tank lid is about 1 1/4" from the wall. The front of the tank lid is 8 1/2" from the wall. Different toilet seats will add different amounts to that, but it looks like you'll be OK, depending on your roughin.

JeffZX

Reaction score
The installation has been put off for at least one day. I called the company where I purchased the toilet (special order), and a store rep told me that I would be OK as the distance from the back of the tank to the seat is 12". Others concur on this? Thanks.

Loke

Reaction score
I am considering an Ultramax and will have a banjo counter as well (replacing one there). At the showroom we measured the depth of the tank and, adding less than an inch clearance from the wall, came up with 7" as an appropriate depth for the counter so it wouldn't extend over the tank. In addition to not wanting one's back to hit the counter when seated one may also want to consider whether the extra depth of the counter may hinder access inside the tank should repairs there be needed (flapper replacement, etc.). As far as the comment about height under the counter goes, the info I've gleaned is that as long as there is at least about 5" from the top of the tank (lid off) to the underside of the counter lip then one should be okay. Don't know what counter height you have but you can certainly get the height of the toilet from the spec sheet and measure your counter to check.

Would be interested to know how things go. Might you be able to post pics showing the installed toilet with toilet lid up?

JeffZX

Reaction score
I am considering an Ultramax and will have a banjo counter as well (replacing one there). At the showroom we measured the depth of the tank and, adding less than an inch clearance from the wall, came up with 7" as an appropriate depth for the counter so it wouldn't extend over the tank. In addition to not wanting one's back to hit the counter when seated one may also want to consider whether the extra depth of the counter may hinder access inside the tank should repairs there be needed (flapper replacement, etc.). As far as the comment about height under the counter goes, the info I've gleaned is that as long as there is at least about 5" from the top of the tank (lid off) to the underside of the counter lip then one should be okay. Don't know what counter height you have but you can certainly get the height of the toilet from the spec sheet and measure your counter to check.

Would be interested to know how things go. Might you be able to post pics showing the installed toilet with toilet lid up?

Interesting that you came up with 7"; if mine will work at 8.5" than you will have plenty of room. Did your measurements imply that much more than 7" would be too long for the toilet?

"also want to consider whether the extra depth of the counter may hinder access inside the tank" - another interesting take that I hadn't really thought of ....I was more concerned that the height of the tank be low, which it is, to allow easy access, but perhaps the counter could hinder work if the tank is in from the counter by 1.5"? Height from floor to underneath of counter is 31". Current tank height is 27 1/4" while Toto spec sheet says 27 1/8" for Ultramax height.

Would be glad to post some pics.

If anybody who has a Toto Ultramax could measure from the back of the tank to the seat it would be most appreciated!

Last edited:

Loke

Reaction score
Took a quick look at the Toto spec sheet for the Ultramax (my interest is the ADA/elongated seat version). You may want to determine the height of the toilet with the lid up for the toilet you've ordered to make sure that the open lid will either fit under your banjo or at least be vertical against the banjo and not leaning forward with the 8.5 inch counter. I'm heading back to the showroom to check on this, too. Glad you posted!

JeffZX

Reaction score
Took a quick look at the Toto spec sheet for the Ultramax (my interest is the ADA/elongated seat version). You may want to determine the height of the toilet with the lid up for the toilet you've ordered to make sure that the open lid will either fit under your banjo or at least be vertical against the banjo and not leaning forward with the 8.5 inch counter. I'm heading back to the showroom to check on this, too. Glad you posted!

I wouldn't think that the height of the toilet seat would exceed the 31" of my counter, but the concern is that the toilet seat would be inset from the counter and a person's back would be against the counter rather than the toilet seat. And if the toilet seat is indeed in front of the counter as hoped than I guess it really doesn't matter what the height of the seat is.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks