Bath Fan

Users who are viewing this thread

Jerome8283

Reaction score
I would like to replace a very old bathroom ventilation fan in my main bath. The ductwork runs vertically up to the roof outlet. It seems most vertical fans have high sone ratings, 5 or more. Are there any other options? Can I stall an elbow or a transition?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Your vertical fan probalby has a 7" duct? Most of the side discharge are 3 or 4" . If you have access in the attic, you could use a transition and some flex or elbows to hook up.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
There are several ventillation fans that use remoted coaxial fans...you can hardly hear them running, and an indicator light is a good idea.

If the room is kind of dark, a circular skylight like those from www.solatube.com work great (I've got one in my condo's bathroom (no windows). The make a fan and light kit for it, and on a nice sunny day, it ducts the equivalent of around a 300W light bulb into the room...it took a year or more when leaving the room to not reach for the light switch! It even glows in the moonlight, so maneuvering in the middle of the night is often safe without turning on a light. Neat...

Statjunk

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Everyone wants a quiet fan. Not really sure why. The noisy fans create privacy for the user.

Tom

Jerome8283

Reaction score
Everyone wants a quiet fan. Not really sure why. The noisy fans create privacy for the user.

Tom
:D
Well the fan shouldn't just be on when the room is occupied. Shouldn't it be on for a while after the shower is used? Also due to the setup of my home, a quiet fan is desired.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Despite statjunks opinion, most of us have the opposite request> quite fan. It is true the vertical discharges seem to always be noisier. Some of the best fans are Panasonic, so check their website.

Otherwise, another option is an inline duct booster located well above the bathroom ceiling. Broan and Panasonic also make those. The distant location helps greatly with noise in the bathroom.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks