PVC and CPVC in the cold lines

Users who are viewing this thread

dabiz7

Reaction score
I am wanting to plumb in some whole house filters in the cold water side after my main shut off valve. I seem to be able to find all the 1" PVC fittings I need, but have not been able to find the PVC-to-brass male pipe thread union I need to connect the PVC loop to the rest of the house copper pipe.

I did find a 1" CPVC slip to 1" male pipe transition union, but I thought I read somewhere that you weren't supposed to mix PVC pipe in CPVC fittings. Is that right? Could I use this joint? which primer and glue would I use?

If this isn't recommended, anyone know where I can find a PVC transition, 1" slip to 1" or 3/4' male pipe thread?

Great forum, its been educational

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
If you are working inside the dwelling, PVC is not allowed, even if you are just on the cold side. Use CPVC. Any transitions would be done with threaded brass pieces. You cannot directly glue PVC to CPVC.

cpvc-female-2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

dabiz7

Reaction score
I have all the CPVC fittings I need except for theses two:

1) CPVC 90 elbow, 1" slip x 1" male pipe thread

2) CPVC 90 elbow, 1" slip x 1" female pipe thread

I can't seem to find these fittings anywhere in CPVC.
My final resort was making something work with brass or
galvanized adapters, but I can't believe I can't find these two
types of elbow in CPVC.

Any ideas where online these are available in 1"?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Don't use galvanized! Galvanized rusts and will discolor your water in time. I think you just need to widen you search for those CPVC fittings.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have all the CPVC fittings I need except for theses two:

1) CPVC 90 elbow, 1" slip x 1" male pipe thread

2) CPVC 90 elbow, 1" slip x 1" female pipe thread

Grainger has 1" CPVC Schedule 80 fittings, but not exactly what you need. You might be able to get something that works for you.

You can convert a standard elbow to one with male thread by putting in half a threaded nipple.

US Plastic also has schedule 80 CPV fittings.

You need to be sure that you are getting the size you need because 1" IPS is not the same as 1" tube size.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
If you are working inside the dwelling, PVC is not allowed, even if you are just on the cold side. Use CPVC. Any transitions would be done with threaded brass pieces. You cannot directly glue PVC to CPVC.
Any idea of the reason for this rule? I'm running a new 1" PVC line from the wellhouse to the main house, and was planning on bringing the PVC into the house and immediately transitioning to CPVC via the main shutoff -- a ball valve threaded on each side. I wonder if it's a fire issue?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks