(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: PVC and CPVC in the cold lines

Default PVC and CPVC in the cold lines

I am wanting to plumb in some whole house filters in the cold water side after my main shut off valve. I seem to be able to find all the 1" PVC fittings I need, but have not been able to find the PVC-to-brass male pipe thread union I need to connect the PVC loop to the rest of the house copper pipe.

I did find a 1" CPVC slip to 1" male pipe transition union, but I thought I read somewhere that you weren't supposed to mix PVC pipe in CPVC fittings. Is that right? Could I use this joint? which primer and glue would I use?

If this isn't recommended, anyone know where I can find a PVC transition, 1" slip to 1" or 3/4' male pipe thread?

Great forum, its been educational

If you are working inside the dwelling, PVC is not allowed, even if you are just on the cold side. Use CPVC. Any transitions would be done with threaded brass pieces. You cannot directly glue PVC to CPVC.

Default joint

PVC and CPVC are measured differently so the pipe and fittings cannot interchange, even if you could glue them together.

I have all the CPVC fittings I need except for theses two:

1) CPVC 90 elbow, 1" slip x 1" male pipe thread

2) CPVC 90 elbow, 1" slip x 1" female pipe thread

I can't seem to find these fittings anywhere in CPVC.
    My final resort was making something work with brass or
    galvanized adapters, but I can't believe I can't find these two
    types of elbow in CPVC.

Any ideas where online these are available in 1"?

Don't use galvanized! Galvanized rusts and will discolor your water in time. I think you just need to widen you search for those CPVC fittings.

Quote Originally Posted by dabiz7 View Post
    I have all the CPVC fittings I need except for theses two:

1) CPVC 90 elbow, 1" slip x 1" male pipe thread

2) CPVC 90 elbow, 1" slip x 1" female pipe thread
    Grainger has 1" CPVC Schedule 80 fittings, but not exactly what you need. You might be able to get something that works for you.

You can convert a standard elbow to one with male thread by putting in half a threaded nipple.

US Plastic also has schedule 80 CPV fittings.

You need to be sure that you are getting the size you need because 1" IPS is not the same as 1" tube size.

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek Mikey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    If you are working inside the dwelling, PVC is not allowed, even if you are just on the cold side. Use CPVC. Any transitions would be done with threaded brass pieces. You cannot directly glue PVC to CPVC.
    Any idea of the reason for this rule? I'm running a new 1" PVC line from the wellhouse to the main house, and was planning on bringing the PVC into the house and immediately transitioning to CPVC via the main shutoff -- a ball valve threaded on each side. I wonder if it's a fire issue?