perferable method to vent shower

Users who are viewing this thread

eagleslawyer

Reaction score
I posted some pics that were not well received. Apparently horizontal runs in vents are not permitted. So I drew up some changes. Either configuration have a shot at passing? I'd like to get this to be a one and done inspection.

Attachments

• shower vent.bmp
    31.8 KB · Views: 400

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
vent

Figure A is not a vent. B is okay, at least as far as you show it, assuming you have a sink connected to it to "wash" the horizontal portion. Otherwise it cannot be horizontal until you are above the spill line of the shower, or 42" above the floor whichever your inspector insists on.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The top drawing is totally wrong.
There is nothing there that would be vent the trap. Sewer gas could also come down the vent and into the bathroom if the vent is connected to other vents.

The bottom drawing will work with a LT 90 in place of the Med 90 for UPC.

Wye, rolled so that the 45 off of it is above the flow level of the water in the pipe, and then up the wall with a long turn 90.

eagleslawyer

Reaction score
thanks

That's the way I did it. Rolled the wye to 45 deg. as UPC insructed.

I wonder how can you vent a shower without a horizontal section?

Use a larger pipe size? so you could be further from the vent stack?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks