Sink and Toilet dry for 2 years...advice on install please.

Users who are viewing this thread

Chris in Calgary

Reaction score
I have been admittedly a bit A.D.D in my renovation....the King of Project Starters so to speak.
My master bathroom was the first thing I demolished, but is, alas, the last room to see completion.

The toilet and sink were removed (and openings covered) 2 years ago, and I am going to finish things up this week. I'm wondering if there are any special precautions I need to take in reinstalling the toilet and sink plumbing given the time that has passed since water flowed through the pipes.

I know that I should open the windows and wear a respirator to avoid breathing the sewer gasses...but anything else I should know about?

Thanks

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
No,
You are thinking way too much though.
If you look outside at the roof of your home, you will see pipes sticking through.
Those are vents.
Most of the sewer gas will go out through those.
You haven't been saving up gas all this time.

Just, Get er done!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The seals in the toilet may have deteriorated so you may wan tto have a new flapper valve and maybe the valve gasket available to replace it, and it is a good idea to buy a new supply flex line for the toilet. If the shutoff valves aren't being replaced, the washers may or may not have problems...sometimes it's easier to just replace them. Use the 1/4-turn valves if you do decide to replace them.

But, all that being said, everything will probably work fine...

Chris in Calgary

Reaction score
I'm replacing all the old seals, gaskets etc, so that's not an issue.
I was just wondering if I needed to do anything special to get the water flowing properly again once I "get 'er done".:)

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I probably wouldn't drink any from the sink until you'd run a couple gallons through, but other than that...nothing I can think of. That would include brushing your teeth in the water.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Two years! I thought I was bad with two months. You truely are king.

All bow before you.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
I'll see your two years and raise you two... I like to say I'm 4 years into a one-year project.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks