Leak inside the tank

Users who are viewing this thread

jsanfilippo

Reaction score
My American Standard toilet seems to be leaking inside the tank. I don't have any water leaking externally - you can hear water slowly draining somewhere inside the tank, and then it refills once the float drops enough. I don't have any evidence of water on the floor, or from underneath in the basement.

What set of rings/valves/washers would I start investigating to replace?

Thank you! :)

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If you have a flapper, then any hardware store should have a replacement.

If you have a flush tower, like for the Champion, then contact A/S for their conversion flush valve.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Also check that the bowl refill tube from the fill valve to the overflow tube is clipped to the top of the overflow tube and not pushed way down inside. This can cause tank water to siphon into the overflow tube.

jsanfilippo

Reaction score
Great - I'll check both of these, and will post back if I have further questions about it. Thank you!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
toilet

Which flush mechanism do you have? American Standard has a plethora of flush valves they have used over the years and each has its own repair parts.

jsanfilippo

Reaction score
I'm not certain. How would I identify which valve it is? Would there be a part number on it somewhere?

jsanfilippo

Reaction score
Okay - I'll shoot a photo of the inside of the tank and post it. Might be a day or two, but I'll get er done.

Thanks.

Am I correct in assuming that this won't be an expensive repair, no matter what the valve type is? Is this covered under the same lifetime warranty as my faulty AS shower valve that I'm dealing with? :)

jsanfilippo

Reaction score
So to followup on this issue... I've taken the time to look more closely, and it's your more standard flush valve with a flapper. I took the flapper out and inspected and cleaned it, and reinstalled it. It's still leaking.

Should I replace the entire flush valve, or would the next step to be replace the flapper?

i also read online about a kit for "reseating" the flush valve - basically glueing a new surface on the top seat. Any recommendations for or against this?

If i were to replace the entire flush valve, I'm not sure how I would do it. How does it come out? Is it cemented in?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you haven't already, turn off the water supply to the toilet, mark the height of the water in the toilet, then leave it overnight. If the level drops, it's either the flapper (likely) or the seat to tank gasket (this assumes none is leaking outside of the toilet). If it's the seat to tank gasket, you may need to remove the tank assembly and tighten the nut that holds the flapper valve seat to the tank. If the flapper feels sort of slimey or soft, or if it is hard and warped, replacing it probably will resolve it. If you can move the valve seat, the nut holding it in place is too loose. If you rub your finger aroud where the flapper valve sits and it is smooth, that's good; if it has any rough edges or ridges, the flapper won't seal, and it should be replaced. Depending on the age of the toilet, you may be able to get them to send you that part for free.

jsanfilippo

Reaction score
Thanks for those suggestions. With your help, I have figured out the problem... or I should say, problems.

To determine if the flapper was bad, I took the flapper out of another identical toilet in the house that wasn't leaking, and put it in the problem toilet.

Once I filled it up, i continued to hear the dripping sound... but I didn't wait long enough to see if the water level dropped.

But i did notice that the dripping was cause by the water level being slightly too high - it filled right to the top of the tube and was just spilling over into the tube, causing a dropping sound.

But I found that the problem was made worse because the old flapper WAS leaking. So it would leak, the tank would refill when the water level dropped, and the water would keep dripping into the tube making noise.

replaced the flapper - leak gone.
adjusted the stops on the float valve so it stops below the top of the tube - drip gone.

now i just have to get a new flapper. i put the "bad" one back in the "good" toilet just to confirm that it was a problem, and now that toilet is leaking.

home depot should have a flapper for an AS toilet, right?

tkbrown

Reaction score
Leak in tank

Is this a CHAMPION model? In doing my research, I found a LONG thread or list of threads about the AS Champion. I had looked at it at Home Depot, who tauted it quite highly. I was ready to buy it, but fortunately for me they were out of stock, and then I found this site. I would suggest you research the AS, and specifically the CHAMPION. It may provide some very valudable insight and suggestions.

I dropped the AS Champion from my list of toilets to consider

jsanfilippo

Reaction score
I don't think I have the Champion. The photos of it online look slightly different, as do the valves inside.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks