Wall mount sink sagging, trap no longer lines up

Users who are viewing this thread

TMB9862

Reaction score
I have an old cast iron wall mounted sink in a rental. I got a call today that it was leaking and immediately noticed it sagging and the tail piece was at a bad angle. Upon further inspection the sink is still firmly mounted to the wall. The wall is actually out of whack. I really don't want to go tearing into the wall and make a big job of it right now because these tenants trash everything and will soon be out of there at which point I'm putting in a new bath. I'm betting the sink was used as a seat since it has been fine for 40 years before they moved in.

My first thought was to just adjust the trap so everything lined up. I have a brass trap soldered onto a copper pipe so the trap is fixed. What I did to get it going for now was to shim the bottom of it out from the wall and replace the tail piece and pop-up. Now it sits level and doesn't leak but this defiantly isn't a perminant fix.

My thoughts are
1. Try and unsolder that trap and put a trap adapter on so I can get a more easially adjustable P trap on there. I'm having doubts about it unsoldering though. I don't have enough pipe to just cut the trap off either.
2. Find a more perminant way to shim in. This is held on solely by the bracket, it doesn't have those extra mounting holes like the new ones do which would let you put washers behind it though.
3. Try and make legs for it somehow. Attaching them is the problem since this doesn't have the holes for legs like the new ones do.
4. Break down, buy a new sink, shim it by putting washers behind the lower mounting holes, and put legs on it.

It seems to me 4 is the only way to really do this but I hate to sink a couple hundred bucks into it when I know it's going to be shot by the time I get these people out of there. Just wondering if anyone out there has any other ideas.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Slap a piece of 3/4" plywood (painted white) on the wall and put the sink and mount on it! Do up the trap and call it done until they vacate!

Next tennant gets a nice new bathroom!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks