Whirlpool - Any Changes in 2008

Users who are viewing this thread

Ray121462

Reaction score
I just got back from Lowes where I purchased two Whrlpool (12-year with Energy Smart) water heaters. I was supposed to have them installed this afternoon, but one was dented so they need to install tomorrow. After doing some more research, I found this site. From everything I've read, I should get out of this deal right away. Is this still the current thought in 2008 for these water heaters? It looks like most of the problems were pre 2007. Thanks.

Squ1rrel

Reaction score
All their new ones are using the new burner system that they are shipping out to "fix" the problem units. The reset switch has a tendency to get stuck when you have to reset it. Some of the units were coming from the factory like that, and wouldn't start. Don't know if things have changed in the last 4 months, but given the amazing customer service they've provided in the past, I'd be afraid...very afraid

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
do they look like these??????

I might be wrong but I think the energy smart ones are

electric.....and if they are they are junk too....

..then I suggest you run away screaming...

if it is a gas heater then it has a fancey new Honeywell gas valve on it
and i personally would not want to be involved in their next fiasco .....

http://www.weilhammerplumbing.com/galleryi/

Last edited by a moderator:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I would cancel this sale and installation!

Find a plumber that installs Bradford White!

Ray121462

Reaction score
Definately Not Electric

Master Plumber Mark - I checked out your site, these are definately not electric. The gas units have a self-diagnostic control located near the bottom.

I decided to cancel the Whirlpool installation and found a local plumber who thinks a 199000 BTU Bradford White High Efficency 25 gallon should do the job of my two old 40 gallons. He's going to install tomorrow. I hope he's right about it! Thanks for everyone's advice.

Last edited:

Master Plumber Mark

Reaction score
Website
the self diagnostic gas energy smarts...

I have looked at the new gas units that they are offering
and they still scare me because they still dont know what
they are doing in the first place,

they have not corrected or changed
the air intake on the bottom of the unit at all
and it does not make sense to me to keep makeing the
same mistake over and over again....

they seem want to dazzle everyone with the
12 year warranty...

they have packaged what might actually be a good honeywell valve
on a downright shitty water heater with a proven
defective air intake design so it is bound to still fail just like the old design..........

as far as the one you are putting in,
I have never heard of a 25 gallon 199,000 btu gas water heater...

do you mean a 75 gallon gas with the higher btu burner????

a 75 gallon would more than suffice

just wondering
http://www.weilhammerplumbing.com/galleryiii/

Last edited:

Ray121462

Reaction score
Wow...I was searching the web and it took a while, but I did see a 25 gallon high efficiency Bradford White description. I guess I heard the plumber correctly about the 25 gallons, but the spec sheet says 78000 BTUs. Model GX-2-25S6BN.

http://www.kennypipe.com/new-products-bradford-white

Claims to have 155 gallon first hour delivery. Hopefully I'll see gas cost savings.

Last edited:

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
I had a Whirlpool EnergySmart 50gal electric unit installed for a couple of years before replacing it with a solar system. Easy to install, worked fine. Maybe I got lucky?

Master Plumber Mark

Reaction score
Website
you got lucky for now

the problem with them is when the diagnostic
on the unit starts to beep and go nuts on you
......either about the elements
or the heat sensors going bad to the elements...

the worst thing we have run into is the circuit board
either getting fried out because the element burnt out
and threw a surge through the board or a power surge
from the house threw a jolt into the board....

that board is about $145 if you can get it
...and I suggest changeing
both elements out when or if you ever have to mess
with it

Last edited:

solutions

Reaction score
Is this only effecting this model HWH, or other electric or gas models too?

Doug Lassiter

Reaction score
I installed a Whirlpool BFG model 40 gallon water heater from Lowes in December 2006. I actually haven't had any trouble with it so far (knock on wood!), though I do notice that I've had to turn the thermostat knob up somewhat to keep the hot water temp where I think it used to be. Is that the sign of an about-to-fail thermocouple?

I selected to claim the replacement manifold assembly, at least so I'd have it around when the thing failed. I sent that claim in by mail, using the claim form provided by the Settlement, on 12/07, but haven't gotten the replacement unit. Am I supposed to follow up the mailed claim to actually get one sent to me?

The unit is in a closet in the garage, open to the attic. It is on it's own short legs, so it's almost impossible to see the vent screen, but there is very little dust in that closet. I decided to remove the flame viewing window anyway, based on my impression from the posts in this thread about the importance of ventilation to the burner. Given the absence of flammable materials near the closet, and the "outer door" that should keep solid burnables away from the flame, this seems justified.

What precisely causes the thermocouple to fail, and how does airflow to the burner affect that? Never have understood that.

The thread is pretty long, and hugely informative, but it's gotten to the point that it's hard to pull out recommendations. Who (based on the particular unit that they have) needs to do what, to keep this beast alive? Is there some place where all this information is distilled?

Thanks!

Doug

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
Whirlpool Water Heaters

My Brother Brought One And Installed A Year Ago. No Problems !
Two Weeks Ago He Drained It And Pulled Out Of Closet So He Could Rebuild Closet And Tile Kitchen Floor.
He Reinstalled And Relite Burner No Problems
Because Of The Postings Here I Told Him About Possible Problems
So Ordered Him The New Gas Valve And Burner Manifold
That He Is Keeping If He Needs Them, :d

Thurman

Reaction score
The Whirlpool "Energy Smart" are the electric units. I have one I bought and installed two years ago last December. Just last month (Jan.) it quit working. The little green light on the unit wasn't on and not hot water. I had power to the control board but that was it. A call to the 1-800-(help me Whirlpool) resulting in a techy telling me that even though my unit was registered and under a nine year warranty that ALL Whirlpool Energy Smart electric water heaters were warranted to the original owners if in the original installation (where else?) for as long as the original owner lives there because of a class action lawsuit. Remember now that the "Flame Guard" gas units have class action lawsuits against them in five (5) different states. The new circuit board was shipped out to me and came from "American Water Heaters" in Tenn., the manufacturers of the unit. NOTE: my original board had imprinted on it "revision J", and the new board has "revision S". Quite a number of revisions to me. Hopefully this will solve the problem. Thanks, David

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
This a a bit belated, but I would answer the question with a question. Why would one take a chance with a proven loser? Maybe they fixed the problems, maybe they didn't, there are other choices where quality has not been an issue. The Bradford White is one such choice and the GE/Rheem is another.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you already have one, and it is working for you, count your blessings. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. But, if you are shopping for a new heater, then why risk your money on a proven loser. I'm willing to say that Whirlpool hasn't always been junk, but in recent times, the record speaks for itself.

Master Plumber Mark

Reaction score
Website
problems go back to 2000

How far back do these problems go?
I had one (12 yr) installed in 04 or 05 (I think 05)

Whirlpool heaters were never a problem until they had to develope their FVIR unit for the 2003 mandate ..

iin fact they came out with the Flame Lock about 2-3 years earlier than they actually had todo this, and felt as though they had beaten all the competition to the punch... it was a rush to market

they had a big splash in all the news wires about their new Flame lock line..

of course the big issue is they used their own customers as guniee pigs to see how well their design was.... they never actually tested out this design in
laundry rooms with high dust and lint....

and of course it has been a total disaster....

the units will work perfect as long as they are in an absolutely sterile environment
no dust, lint, cat hair, dog hair, people hair.....ect

mark_wh_wp_01.jpg

mark_wh_08.jpg

dust, lint, cat hair, dog hair, people hair.....ect
mark_wh_02.jpg

and for some reason now they refuse to admit any design flaws in this unit....

the newer improved model is actually worse than the one that originally gave them problems

I sell a lot of bradford whites and rheems and it is a slam dunk
and no competition when they just go to my web site and read
all the information about this awful brand ...

.I sometimes wonder how many people
have lugged that ...new in the box heater..
back to lowes and got a refund, after finding my site...

it is actually to my advantage that they keep messing up like
this,...
but I am tired of trying to fix these dogs. .

and I am tired of watching so many very poor people
who thought they had found a bargain
take such a good stiff screwing ...

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks