2" rough-in for Bathroom Sink P-Trap?

Users who are viewing this thread

Bjferri

DoD Army
Reaction score
I'm glad my plumber used 2" PVC for my sink waste but I sort of wished he had transitioned to 1-1/2" for the rough in. How should I transition the 2" rough-in to 1-1/2" for the P-Trap and still have a High Box P-Trap Flange that's only 1-3/4" deep cover it - that's the deepest I think they make? If I used all PVC to make connections - it sticks out from the wall approx. 3"...

This is all exposed decorative plumbing...

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I would have used a 2 X 2 X 1 1/2 sani-tee in the wall. A 2" Tee can be bushed down to 1 1/2".

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

Do you have a fitting hub or a piece of pipe sticking out of the wall? If it is a hub/bell then you can insert a bushing into it. If it is a pipe, cut it off flush with the wall, or behind the wall if you have an internal cutter. But before you do that, call some of the better plumbing supply companies, and see if they have a 2" 'Top Cap" cleanout fitting. If so, it will glue inside the pipe with a 1 1/2" pipe thread outlet that you can screw a brass male thread Marvel connector/trap adapter/De Sanko fitting, depending on what they are called in your area. The same company will have it also.

Bjferri

DoD Army
Reaction score
Sorry about this but I made a mistake. I have a 2" X 1-1/2" UPS PVC hub...so, I don't need to reduce it then. Do I buy that threaded 1-1/2" PVC fitting that gets glued into the hub that the p-trap goes into? Or, do you recommend something else? My motto is do it once, I don’t care the cost, so long as I don’t have to do it again. Thanks…

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I think you could just glue in a Desanko fitting that would let you connect the drain line directly using it's compression fitting.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks