Dishwasher drain length

Users who are viewing this thread

cybervex

Reaction score
How long can a dishwasher drain be. My dishwaser is in a peninsula and the length for the drain would be approx. 10 feet. Is this ok as long as I have the air gap.

Attachments

• Kitchen1.jpg
    Kitchen1.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 3,809

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Mine's at least that long. Just try to keep the pipe so it doesn't have bellies so stuff can accumulate. The pumping action should keep them clean, but better safe than sorry and it can keep smells down if the thing isn't used often.

MG

Reaction score
Not that it would be easy to accomplish, but it it were to be feasible for a situation like that could you route in PVC for a dishwasher drain that long so you could avoid bellies in the line?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

If it has an air gap, then, by definition, all the water in the hose above the bottom of the dishwasher will drain back into it, if the pump's check valve does not hold which few of them do. That being the case, it might be better to keep the hose low, i.e., below the cabinet's floor, until it gets to the sink cabinet to minimize the amount of water subject to that backflow.

cybervex

Reaction score
Another option I thought of was building a half-wall at the back of the peninsula and giving the dishwasher its own drain.

My house has no insulation or drywall yet so any idea is worth thinking about. The only drains I have left are the Kitchen sink and dishwasher.

Jay

cybervex

Reaction score
If it has an air gap, then, by definition, all the water in the hose above the bottom of the dishwasher will drain back into it, if the pump's check valve does not hold which few of them do. That being the case, it might be better to keep the hose low, i.e., below the cabinet's floor, until it gets to the sink cabinet to minimize the amount of water subject to that backflow.

So would you be suggesting a high loop at the dishwasher then carry the distance near the floor? That way the only water able to return to the dishwasher would from the peak of the loop.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Another option I thought of was building a half-wall at the back of the peninsula and giving the dishwasher its own drain.

My house has no insulation or drywall yet so any idea is worth thinking about.
Unless your dishwasher is a lot more expensive than mine, you might want the wall there for acoustic reasons. Make it a 6-inch wall, stuffed with fiberglass, open on the DW side to suck up the noise.

cybervex

Reaction score
Unless your dishwasher is a lot more expensive than mine, you might want the wall there for acoustic reasons. Make it a 6-inch wall, stuffed with fiberglass, open on the DW side to suck up the noise.

I am hoping that this $700 Maytag will be quieter than the $100 off brand I have in my current home, which I do not find to be all that noisy.

I was only considering the half wall to provide a place for me to give the dishwasher it's own drain. I suppose I will just build the half wall as the back of the peninsula. Better support for the granite I guess.

Thanks for the input guys!!!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks