(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: 2 stations not working on my Rainbird system

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    DIY Junior Member BT1911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lone Star State
    Posts
    5

    Default 2 stations not working on my Rainbird system

    1st post here. Seems to be a very smart crowd!

    Hoping to get some advice on fixing my 11 station system. I picked up two yellow lab pups whose idea of chew toys were the valve covers in the back yard and the wiring from the solenoids on top of the valves. I checked the system and noticed that two of the stations in the back yard weren't kicking on but the timer showed them running. I replaced the solenoids and still the same thing. I did notice I could twist the solenoids and that got the pop-ups working. Any clue as to what else I should be looking at?

    Thanks in advance for the assist!

  2. #2
    DIY Member Kiril's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    87

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BT1911 View Post
    1st post here. Seems to be a very smart crowd!

    Hoping to get some advice on fixing my 11 station system. I picked up two yellow lab pups whose idea of chew toys were the valve covers in the back yard and the wiring from the solenoids on top of the valves. I checked the system and noticed that two of the stations in the back yard weren't kicking on but the timer showed them running.
    Check to see if the pups used the zone field wiring as a chew toy.

    Quote Originally Posted by BT1911 View Post
    I did notice I could twist the solenoids and that got the pop-ups working.
    This is typical behavior of all screw type solenoids (eg. manual activation)

  3. #3
    DIY Junior Member BT1911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lone Star State
    Posts
    5

    Default

    Check to see if the pups used the zone field wiring as a chew toy
    Will do! Can you tell me what this "zone field wiring" is? When the system was installed, the installer didn't leave a schematic.

  4. #4
    DIY Member Kiril's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    87

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BT1911 View Post
    Will do! Can you tell me what this "zone field wiring" is? When the system was installed, the installer didn't leave a schematic.
    The solenoid wiring is connected to it. While your there you should make sure it is wired correctly.

  5. #5
    DIY Junior Member BT1911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lone Star State
    Posts
    5

    Default

    Thanks. Everything seems to be intact but still no go. One last question before I call the sprinkler guy...Does it matter which solenoid to use as a replacement; e.g. brand specific? I picked up two from Home Depot that don't look like the kind that I swapped with albeit the threads were the same.

  6. #6
    DIY Member Kiril's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    87

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BT1911 View Post
    Does it matter which solenoid to use as a replacement; e.g. brand specific?
    Yes it does matter.

    What is the make and model of the valves you have (pics)?

    What type of solenoid did you purchase?

    What is the make and model of your controller (& pics of zone wiring)?

    Do you have a voltmeter?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •