In the Trades
Reaction score
I Trying To Fix A Problem Long Distance,

My Brother Is Renting A Apt That Has A Black Mold Problem In
His Bathroom Shower Stall,
What Is The Best Way To Kill The Mold ?
Bleach Sitting Overnite ?
Muric Acid Sitting Overnite ?

Or Is Their Some Other Chemical Treatment ?
OR SCRAPING OUT THE GROUT AND REGROUTING ?

WHAT SAFETY SHOULD BE DONE WHILE WORKING TO PREVENT SPREADING MOLD AROUND APT INHALEING IT

Cookie

Reaction score
Here is what I would do. I would use bleach mixed with fabric softener. It breaks down the molecular cohesion of water and allows this to work better. One cup of bleach, one tablespoon of liquid fabric softener, add that to one 5 gallon bucket of water. That will kill all the mold and mildew, then, caulk or re grout; the main thing to prevent the mold or mildew from coming back is ventilation.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/surten.html

Here is an experiment one can do to see molecular cohesion:

1. Take a large glass fill with water
2. Get a sewing needle and piece of toilet tissue just big enough to hold the sewing needle.
3. Hold the ends of the toilet tissue with the needle in the middle, gently lay it down on the water.
4. The toilet tissue will fall slowly to the bottom of the glass, and the needle will float.
5. This is due to molecular cohesion.
6. Add 1/2 teaspoon of fabric softener in the glass, stir it, and repeat the process over, again.
7. The needle will sink. This is due to the fabric softener breaking the molecular cohesion.

*In dire situations you can use this as a crude compass. (without the fabric softener) and, if you are really good...you can lay the needle on the water without the toilet tissue and it will float.

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
Gas mask

Bottle of Chlorine Bleach

Tooth brush

Dip tooth brush in the bottle's neck that way you're not exposing yourself to too much chlorine at one time, have a fan blowing into that room as well.

Soak a small rag with bleach and wipe affected areas first, then come back with soaked toothbrush or larger bristled device and scrub black mold.

IF the mold is penetrated deep into caulking, it will not come off. Tile grout is manageable and surface mold will easily come off.

I have found chlorine bleach, which I'm highly allergic too to be the best effective product.

Other methods work like above too.

Hey MAC, you didn't lose your PHD in Waterheaterology did you?

This will be a sad day if true. "Moment of silence" sobs LOL!

jfarnold

Apprentice Plumber
Reaction score
It's one thing if it's all over the surface of the tile and grout, and it's another if it's just along the caulk lines and spreading from the drain.

Ventilation is key, both for abating the problem and solving it safely.

After thoroughly cleaning as per cookie or Rugged above, regrout and recaulk areas that could not be effectively cleaned. To prevent this problem in future where ventilation is a problem, thoroughly drying the shower (squeegee, then towel) after use and using a cleaner effective against mildew (bleach/TSP solution) on a regular basis (weekly) should do the trick.

Once you've cleaned the obvious surfaces, it's important to hit the drains in the bathroom (sinks, tub, shower, toilet ((if evident)) with vigor all the way to the trap, to slow reestablishment as the drains below the covers are usually full of mildew and are firing off spores constantly.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
looky here!http://store.greendepot.com/-strse-1091/Moldex-Mold-Inhibitor,-Cleaner/Detail.bok

EC50005500.jpg

Herk

Plumber
Reaction score
I keep a bottle of Tilex handy. Probably the same thing as Moldex. But then, I also have a grout scraper, justincase.

SRdenny

Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
X-14 works really well, if you can't find Moldex.

Attachments

• x-14_mold_mildew.gif
    x-14_mold_mildew.gif
    8.8 KB · Views: 7,462

Cookie

Reaction score

The Mold Expert

Reaction score
Mold Precautions

You need to buy Microban Disinfectant mold killer. This is an EPA Registred antimicrobial designed to kill all known types of mold at the roots. Always be sure to wear an N95 Respirator when removing mold and set up proper containment to prevent its spread to other areas of the home. For more information on this subject as well as Mold Removal, Mold Remediation, Mold Testing, Mold Inspection, Mold Abatement, Mold Cleanup check out these two sites:

http://www.absolutelyspotless.us

http://www.absolutelyspotlessmold.com

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
Mold Expert, he wasn't asking you to advertise your company, why did you choose to do that?

cocojambo

Reaction score
shower mold

You can also use the Concrobium mold killer solution to kill mold in your shower or under shower curtains.

Concrobium Mold Control Solution is the best liquid solution to kill mold. It contains no bleach, ammonia or VOCs. When this solution is sprayed on mold, it works as it dries, killing mold in the process. Concrobium Mold Control solution hardens itself over the moldy surface to form an invisible film that physically crushes the mold & micro-organism underneath. How is it different from bleach? Traditionally, homeowners have tackled black mold with bleach solutions, essentially poisoning the mold micro-organism. That leaves users and their families exposed to harmful chemicals.
Source: http://www.blackmoldremovalsupport.com/

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks