Space above

Users who are viewing this thread

chuckmg

Reaction score
We have a toilet that we want to replace. It is unfortunately under a sink shelf ... see picture. It is 35.5 inches to the underside of the shelf over the toilet. We want dual-flush and wished to install a Toto Aquia. With the tank lid off, the Aquia measures 29 inches to the top. That would leave 5.5 inches clearance above the tank. Too small to put a head in to look see. There are only 2 units in the tank. It looks like, if needed, they could be removed with that minimal clearance above the tank. Am I being realistic? Would it be wise to purchase the unit with that clearance constraint?

Chuck

Attachments

• DSC_2516 copy.jpg
    DSC_2516 copy.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 269

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
toilet

I don't know why you would want to replace a toilet that cannot overflow if it stops up with one that can, but as long as there is room for you to operate the push buttons, that should be your main concern. When it has to be repaired or serviced a way will be devised to do it.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
why you would want to replace a toilet that cannot overflow if it stops up with one that can?

I had the Aquai installed for two years, and Cathy has one, installed two years plus,
Neither of them have been stopped up.
They have a fairly large trapway.
Bigger than most.

5.5" is plenty of space to work with.

chuckmg

Reaction score
hj,

why you would want to replace a toilet that cannot overflow if it stops up with one that can?

I admit, it's a pretty looking toilet ... BUT,
1. it stops up with undesirable frequency even after having the plumbing roto-rooted ... we are in a bungalow without a basement.
2. annoyingly often the flapper doesn't close properly ... even after plumber installed a new one. My wife called the plumber because she thought the problem was my ineptness in diagnosing and replacing the flapper.

Can't think of any other good reason. :)

Chuck

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks