New Soaker Tub Leaking Help

Users who are viewing this thread

bodhi24

Reaction score
I would like some advise from anyone. I have created a Japanese Bath. The bath tub is an Oceania Geisha Soaker, It comes in two pieces.
The bathtub came with a sealant that must be placed between the two pieces so that they will bond. Well unfortunately despite the seal, the tub leaks at the seam where the two pieces join.
The manufacturer blames the plumber for improper installation, because if it leaks the installation was improper.
The plumber takes no responsiblity for any wrong doing and blames the manufacturer.
Well since this tub is already tiled in I ask if there is a way to seal the tub from the inside so it wont leak. Silicone caulk has been placed in the seam from the inside of the tub to stop leakage, however, it still leaks.
The manufacturer says silicone would only be a patch.
Any advice on sometype of adhesive to place in the seam and spray acrylic to harden over any adhesive so it wont leak.
I would like to find a solution for this issue, in hopes to not get any lawyers involved. Any solutions would be welcome.

Thank you everyone,

Best wishes,
Bodhi

p.s. I believe the tub is an acrylic tub that holds 90 gallons, so any patch has to withstand the water pressure from inside the tub.

Chris Fox

Reaction score
I find it hard to believe there is a joint in the tub where two halves meet and its below water line. I am assuming this is due to its size/shipping.
Were these two pieces supposed to be clamped during bonding process? If so, seems like a lot varibles i.e. setup, temperature and clamping force.
I am sure the pros will chime in...sorry I couldnt be of any more help.

chris

bodhi24

Reaction score
Due to the size since it is a soaker at about 34 inch depth. the seam is at about 22 inches high and the tub goes to a total of 34 inches in depth.
On the outside of the tub, there were clamps that were provided and tightened down on all four sides.

Thanks
bodhi24

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
This sounds like a job I would have run from!

Getting pieces to seal properly in a shower is bad enough! Who in thier right mind would design a 2 piece soaker tub!:confused:

bodhi24

Reaction score
1.jpg

here is a picture of the tub

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
The only way to seal that soaker properly, is to take it apart and rechaulk the entire seam... Does it come with any type of special moulded gasketing to fit the perimeter of the tub? Unless there is a crack in the acrylic and the plumber sealed the seam properly, there should be no leaks.

Its a vey poor engineering of a soaker, if you ask me. The pic is really hard to decipher, because all we see is white

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
It is to late now I think because silicone has already been used but there may have been a way using a vacuum to pull sealant / bonding agent through the crack / leak and fix the problem. With the silicone already having been used it may not be possible now.

Do you know 100% that it was due to improper bonding of the 2 pieces and not due to a Mfg. problem.

bodhi24

Reaction score
is there a way to fix it without ripping it out from the tile.
this picture shows the tub already tiled in. the previous being the tub where you can see where the seam is.
they did provide a sealant gasket type thing to seal the two pieces.
the plumber put the silicone around the inside of the seal when we found that it was leaking and still is.

again thanks for any help
bodhi 24

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 444

bodhi24

Reaction score
hopefully this is a better picture of the seal

Attachments

• DSC_0055.jpg
    DSC_0055.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 431

bodhi24

Reaction score
what a about the solution of cleaning as best you can the silicon that was put from the inside of the tub. wipe with acetone then fill the seam with a marine epoxy like p11 then overcoat the epoxy with an acrylic finish.
Any comments thanks,

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
what a about the solution of cleaning as best you can the silicon that was put from the inside of the tub. wipe with acetone then fill the seam with a marine epoxy like p11 then overcoat the epoxy with an acrylic finish.
Any comments thanks,

That will work, but forget the idea of an overcoat. Those are two independent pieces and contraction/expansion will be it's downfall.

Did the plumber set that base on a bed of mortar to prevent spider cracking through the unit?

bodhi24

Reaction score
the tub came with 4 steel legs on each corner. Therefore the plumber placed directly over subfloor and liquid nailed the legs to the floor

bodhi24

Reaction score
any recommendations on a finishing coat. I am worried that the epoxy will still have water leakage due to sheer force trying to leak through. I thought maybe the acrylic coating could help protect the epoxy as well as a finished look in the tub

Thanks

bodhi24

Reaction score
any advise on a marine epoxy putty or something like mighty putty for this type of application.
thanks everyone

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Any attempt to use putty, epoxy, silicone rtv from the outside to seal will eventually leak!

bodhi24

Reaction score
Thanks Redwood, Do you mean if i clean the silicone from the inside of the tub and place epoxy or putty it will eventually leak?
Ive read that some of the epoxy putty can last upto 300 degrees and waterproof. For example so called marine epoxy.
Again thanks for the help

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
anything that you do with this seam will always show up in the finish. The only thing that i can think of, is to have someone come in to add acrylic to the seam and blend both sides together. I have seen manufacturers repairs their shower stalls/bathtubs that have been scratched, chiped or broken off. You can't even tell that anything had been done.

Now your issue will be to find a manufactureror dealer that will patch this when you didn't buy it from them.

I know one of the units that was repaired for me was made by Maax. Miroline is another that deals with acrylic tubs/stalls.

You can probably google both and you may be able to find a disributer close to you that will help you

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
There should be a grab bar on the wall, at the very least, preferably more, so entering and exiting the tub will be safer.

The current set up is a bad accident waiting to happen.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
tub

If the plumber assembled the tub, he was an idiot. I would connect the tub, but only after someone else put it together and got it into its location. I will not assume responsibility for the tub leaking or being damaged during placement. And the manufacturer claiming the only way it could leak was poor installation is something that Home Depot, Lowes, etc., would love to be able to say.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
The way HJ suggested is the only way I would have touched this job...

You just can't make Fillet Mignon out of Alpo!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks