drain and overflow rubber gasket problems..

Users who are viewing this thread

Chris Fox

Reaction score
I am installing a Duravit tub with side skirt. So far everything going ok, other than cracking the drain elbow during install but this is fixed.

The problem that I am having is, the instructions show to pull the lip of the rubber gasket through the acrylic drain hole and the metal drain flange which gets mounted by a metal screw is supposed to seal over this gasket. And of course this screws sandwhiches the drain flang and rubber seal to the tub.

There is no way possible to pull the rubber gasket lip through the hole and still seat properly. The inside diameter of the gasket is the diameter of the hole in the tub - just impossible. Could it be wrong gaskets or am I overlooking something?

The seal seats firm on the drain pipe(part of the tub) if I leave it seated on top of the drain and NOT pull it through the tub sits on top nicely. I would think this would be fine since this would still give me a seal anyway. If the screw fastens this all together water is still held back by the rubber gasket.
My concern doing it this way is the metal flange on top is sitting directly on top of the tub and could crack if tightened too much.
I was thinking to roll up putty/dope and set the flange on top?

Any ideas, see attached pics

thanks chris

Attachments

• 1 .jpg
    1 .jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 1,981
  • 2 copy.jpg
    2 copy.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 2,654
  • 3 copy.jpg
    3 copy.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 4,793
  • 4 copy.jpg
    4 copy.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 1,130

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I've only dealt with one Duravit thing, a sink. I found that standard US drain parts didn't really fit the opening properly (in that case, the hole was too big, not too small). May be the same thing with the drain you have...US standard verses possibly metric pipe standards...

What material is the tub made of? A call to the Duravit distributor might be in order. Does the spec sheet say anything about the drain? If the drain came with the tub, sounds like somebody made a mistake.

Chris Fox

Reaction score
I went to HD and picked up a simple rubber disc specifically for a tub that I could use under the metal flange so this metal is not in direct contact with the acrylic.
The tub is acrylic 1/4"+ thick. I mentioend I cracked the drain pipe that looks like a "Y" it was standard 1-1/2" ABS, I replaced this with one of the all rubber drains with pipe clamps which gave me most flexibility since the drain and overflow pipes meet then exit the tub offcenter - not directly over the center drain...kinda weird, but might be a German thing.
The installation was surprisingly clear but its all line drawings and the illustration of the gasket is small and not detailed.

I think I will add this ring I bought and fill it up and see if it leaks, I figure if its not going to leak at first it wont leak down the road(sorta speak)

Thanks

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I'm really confused by what you are writing...

That rubber gasket goes under the tub and the lip clips over the edge of the waste and overflow assy. It seals against the bottom of the tube it does not come up inside the hole in the tub. The flat part of the rubber gasket goes against the bottom of the tub!

Last edited:

Chris Fox

Reaction score
I scanned the instructions, the question I have is based on step 22. Its is imposible to pull the gasket through.
If the seal stays seated on the drain (step 19) the tub seats nicely on the gasket and drain, but the metal flange/screen ends up sitting directly on the acrylic since the seal wont be pulled through.

I found some Plumbers Putty and was thinking to roll up some and stick underneath the screen/flange for cushion??
The rubber gasket from HD is too large and sticks outside of the pop up drain - doesnt look goo.

Chris

Attachments

• instructions 2.jpg
    instructions 2.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 1,076

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I see the gasket but what is this seal they are talking about that pulls up. I am not familiar with this brand.

Chris Fox

Reaction score
Redwood, good point. My understanding is the gasket and seal are the same part. The tub arrived with these parts already loosely assembled, the parts were accounted for based in the diagram in the forward of this installation manual.

Hmmm...it sounds like I need to call and track down this seal or confirm if the gasket in step 19 is the same part/seal in step 22. The wording is confusing, because there is no mention of a "seal" between stpes 19 and 22.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Normally the gasket goes below then putty or, silicone rtv under the flange and tighten it down.

Chris Fox

Reaction score
Ok, I am going to go ahead a set this in. So if I leave the gasket seated on the drain assembly under the tub, set the tub on top, silicon then fasten the flange/screen I think I should be good.

Chris Fox

Reaction score
Ok, I am going to go ahead a set this in. So if I leave the gasket seated on the drain assembly under the tub, set the tub on top, silicon then fasten the flange/screen I think I should be good.

Chris Fox

Reaction score
redwood, when you write silicone RTV are you referring to standard silicone tube that I can get for a caulking gun. My concern with silicone caulk is I want to seal not bond, or does it matter?

thanks

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Yeah the GE kitchen and bath silicone rtv with mold inhibitor.
It will seal and bond.

Or,

Use hercules staput ultra plumbers putty.

sta_put_ultra.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks