Tub Drain Basket

Users who are viewing this thread

CURTBREE

Reaction score
I tried to remove the drain basket in our tub, nad the cross bars in the bottom of the basket was the only thing to come out of the tub. Any suggestions on how to remove the rest of the basket so that I may replace it with a new one?

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
dumbell_wrench.jpg

A dumbell wrench might have done the trick earlier but now its a bit tougher You have to cut the drain I'll be back in a bit with some pics for you I have to find them.

Last edited by a moderator:

CURTBREE

Reaction score
That is what I tried earlier, it just twisted the bottom (the cross portion) off. Thanks for the advice, I'll wait for the pictures.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Heree's what I was looking for!

Cut a notch 1/4 in. wide and deep in the old stopper body with a mini hacksaw. Check progress frequently to ensure you don’t cut into the tub. Wedge a 3/4-in. cold chisel into the cutout slot and pound counterclockwise with a hammer to free the stopper body (use caution when hammering so you don’t scratch the enameled tub). Completely unscrew and remove the stopper body.

tubdrain-redwood.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
A dead blow hammer would be good to use. A lot safer than a steel hammer where one slip could raise havoc with the tub.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
When I do it I actually make 2 cuts on opposite sides so you can get a better hitting angle. I Don't beat the hell out of it either. More of a tap tap tap chasing it in a circle.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks