Hole in back of American Standard Toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

jdock

Reaction score
My American Standard Toliet has a hole in the back of the base which is leaking water. I went and looked at Home Depot and all the toliets of this model have this hole. What is it for and why does mine have water coming out after I flush?

Kwei

Reaction score
Broken seal?

I'm no expert, but sounds like the wax seal is broken and you need to have it redone.

jdock

Reaction score
Clarification

The hole in the back of the base is about 12" above the floor, the water is coming out of the toilet not near the wax ring.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
hole

When they "fire" clay products, such as a toilet, any closed spaces have to have vents or the air inside would expand and create a "bulge" in the finished product. That is the reason for the hole. The reason water is comng out of it is that the toilet is defective.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks