did i screw the pooch? (painting problem)

Users who are viewing this thread

number1hag

Reaction score
i am close to the end of a complete rebuild of the wifes bathroom. i was doing some caulking and not paying attention and used silicone caulking. what can i use (paint wise) to cover this? it seems whatever i put on it just beads off. is there anything i can do other than removing all the caulk? boy, i hope it does'nt come down to that. thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
As a rule, 100% silicone is not paintable. Check with GE, or a good paint store. The only thing I could think of to try is to see if an oil based primer would stick to it.

shag_fu

Reaction score
Try recaulking with a paintable caulk. I recently grabbed a clear caulk(was in the wrong bin, go figger) that wouldn paint and put a white over top and it seamed to work ok. Not sure if the 100%sil will have an effect an the new stuff sticking or not. If that doesnt work then maybe you will have to remove the other stuff.

Statjunk

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Your probably going to have to remove it. Not much will stick to silicone. Not even silicon.

Tom

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks