help with Norris toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

Shadrach

Reaction score
I'm trying to snake a 1970's Norris front trap toilet without any luck. The snake seems to go up over the trap and snags on the down side. It doesn't bring anything back but seems to hit a porcelain wall. I don't know the internal shape of the trap or what it could be hanging up on. I never had any problems with it until it was lifted and then put back down by a plumber while our house was replumbed and the bath was retiled. No children so no toys.

norris_side.jpg

A Norris toilet bowl.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shadrach

Reaction score
Is it even possible to snake it?

Are the bends too sharp? Is it possible to be mounted enough off center to clog but not off center enough to leak? The toilet appears to be in good shape; no cracks, chips etc. and I don't have the money for a new toilet at the moment, but I am tired of plunging once or twice a week to get it to marginally work.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
SOmetimes, if the plumber used an extra thick or double wax ring, it can squeeze enough out to restrict the flow. Also, if one of the wax rings with a plastic horn is used, it can create more trouble than it's worth and restrict the flow so it can clog. So, yes, an improper installation or an accident during install could cause it to clog. If the toilet didn't clog before, it should not clog now.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Is that toilet being held together with Mighty Putty?? Looks all cracked, and it looks like a piece near the top is glued on????

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
toilet

Pull the toilet and look inside to see if something is jammed in there. Your snake should go right through it because I doubt that you have a professional one with a large head.

Shadrach

Reaction score
Thank you for your help. I guess there's no way to avoid biting the bullet and pulling the toilet. At least I now have some things to look for. By the way, the toilet in the picture isn't mine; it's the same model. The pic was added by another moderator.

Achutch

Reaction score
That's a good thing that photo isn't yours. It's downright scary! Imagine being "taken short", running to that cracked old thing only to have it crumble to bits with you on it!! Wouldn't be pretty!

Never heard of the Norris brand. Builder brands in Vermont in the 1970's were Mansfield, Borg-Warner, and some no name brands I that I couldn't tell you if my life depended on it. Sometimes you might find Kohler or American-Standard in the newer homes and to lesser extent Eljer. In the older homes, there were lots of "Standard"s, Eljer, and a few Kohler "TRENT" models.

achutch

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I installed a lot of the Norris toilets like the one in the picture in the 70's
Many of them in the Seattle area are starting to crack like that.
I had some in my last home, they do need plunging more than the new ones.
Norris was bought by Mansfield.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks