Tub spout leaking

Users who are viewing this thread

Btrfly88

Reaction score
:confused: cold water is leaking from the tub spout. I removed the handles replaced the stems. Water still was leaking. Removed handles and stems again looked closer inside and there is what looks like about a 1" pipe bringing the cold water up but inside that is a smaller pipe about the width of a straw, it looks like the end of that pipe might be a little chewed up, that also would be about where the rubber end of the stem would sit up agaist. Assuming thats the prob., can I sand that smooth? thanks in advance for any help!

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
What you are looking at is the "seat". You can get a seat wrench or a large allan key (some seats are square openings, some are hexoganal) to remove the seat. You can usually buy a replacement seat if the faucet is not too old, or if the seat isn't too chewed up, you can file it down to a flat surface. (filing it down may make it too small)

Btrfly88

Reaction score
What you are looking at is the "seat". You can get a seat wrench or a large allan key (some seats are square openings, some are hexoganal) to remove the seat. You can usually buy a replacement seat if the faucet is not too old, or if the seat isn't too chewed up, you can file it down to a flat surface. (filing it down may make it too small)

Is the seat ever round? What I see inside is round.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
This is a drawing of a seat. Actual size and shape may vary.

redwood-faucet-seat.jpg

There are many different shapes of seat wrenches used the one in the picture I provided actually takes a square one. It is critical that you use the right one to avoid stripping the seat and making the job much more difficult meaning expensive...

It is always best to install a new matching seat. In a pinch they may be sanded smooth where the washer contacts.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wrex

Reaction score
I had this same problem with my Gerber diverter shower faucet the seat will either be square (a real pain to remove if stripped) or hexagonal (much easier to remove and less likely to strip).

My seats needed a square remover and were badly chewed up. Not to mention really in there tight.

After and hour of gently pounding the tool in to get it to "bite" I finally broke the dumb thing loose.

Luckily the new seats were hexagonal and will be easier to remove in the future if need be.

Last edited:

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
If you do not see a square or hexagonal in the centre, you could be looking at the longer type seats. This one is for an emco tub and shower faucet. A few other brands have similar lengths . The sqaure or hex hole is not evident in some seats, but they are there, just a little deeper

Attachments

• 550097-CAN.gif
    550097-CAN.gif
    4.2 KB · Views: 279
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks