Mystery Fitting

Users who are viewing this thread

Rockford2000

Reaction score
I am trying to identify this push fit fitting. Any clues?

R. Ford

Attachments

• Mystery Fitting.jpg
    Mystery Fitting.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 438

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
1. Flux capacitor
2. LED Blacklight

If this is plumbing-related, and has to do with landscape sprinklers, it could be a drip pressure regulator, or an anti-drain-back for pop-up sprinklers.

Can you give us any clues?

Last edited:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
It looks like some fittings I have seen in water coolers or drinking water filters.

Is that where you found this one? What are you trying to accomplish here?

Rockford2000

Reaction score
It was used under a sink in a residence to reduce 3/8 copper to 3/16 copper in the hot water supply line. It broke and the resulting water release damaged the home. I am trying to identify the fitting to determine its proper use and purchase a few for testing, all in an effort to determine what caused the failure. By the way, it was in an outside wall and the outdoor temp was well below freezing. See photo...

R. Ford

Attachments

• Mystery Fitting 2.jpg
    Mystery Fitting 2.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 348

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
That I think is a flow restricter,I`v seen those on various types of
kitchen faucets with pull out spouts.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
It is a plastic "Quick Connector" AKA "Push-In Connector" similar to this one which is made by Watts.

3516-1008.jpg

I do not know the manufacturer of the one you have pictured. It is interesting that you say this was in an outside wall and may have been subjected to freezing. Freezing water in a pipe may induce a force of up to 40,000 PSI. nothing will withstand that! Other possibilities for the breakage could be shock or, stress related.

Are you looking for a method of repair or just a guilty party?

jfarnold

Apprentice Plumber
Reaction score
I work for a school system, and that looks like an inline water filter for drinking fountains.

I haven't been at this very long myself, why would you need such a thing?
Is this for an ice machine?

Speedbump

Reaction score
I use a similar fitting for my Sulphur Removal system. You can push tubing into the fitting and it will stay there without leaking until you physically pull the little ring device you see at both ends out maybe a 1/16th or so and then you can pull the tubing out again.

I just looked at one and there is no brand name on the fitting anywhere, just an arrow showing direction of flow.

bob...

Rockford2000

Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses. To speedbump and jfarnold: Could you guys look closely at the first post which has the fitting next to a rule and see if the fittings that you are familiar with are similar in size? Are they black?

Once again, I am trying to identify it so that I can purchase a few for testing. All in an effort to determine what happened.

Thanks again,
R. Ford

Speedbump

Reaction score
I don't have my Digital Camera right now, so I can't take a pic of the ones I use. When I get it back (if) I'll take a pic and post it. Mine is a check valve with male threads (1/4") and a barb fitting on the other end to go into 1/4" tubing.

bob...

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
fitting

The fitting is a push on type. If it has a directional arrow then it is a flo regulator of some type, either a volume control or a check valve. We would have to have it in hand to tell which. It is also probably a proprietary fitting that came with the faucet or something that was added to the system, because that type of valve would not normally be needed where you show it, unless there is something relevent that is outside your picture.

Rockford2000

Reaction score
jfarnold hit it on the head. It is an in-line strainer for a Halsey Taylor water fountain. Grainger sells it, their item #2XJ52.

Many thanks for the responses. You guys helped get me on track.

R. Ford

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks