Angle stop valves for bathroom sink

Users who are viewing this thread

Bjferri

DoD Army
Reaction score
The connection from the 1/2" copper water supplies to the angle stop valves, is Compression or IPT fitting better? I just want the one that is less likely to leak down the road. Thanks...

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Properly installed, either is fine. If the compression is overtightened, installing a new one later might mean cutting the pipe back. You may need a puller to get the old ferrule off, but can reuse it - the nut might be pretty anymore, though.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
I have both and I prefer IPT for ease of fitting and removal, and less potential to leak. And if it does leak, at least you can apply (more) teflon tape and tighten it. Not so with compressions.

Although I did manage to tighten a compression to stop it weeping recently. Guess I got lucky and just hadn't tightened it enough when I first fitted it.

Bjferri

DoD Army
Reaction score
What's the trick with getting both risers from the IPT angle stop valves pointing strait up? Is it possible?

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
With all the junk my wife piles under the sink, you can't see them.

There's a good argument for compression fittings, BTW -- I put them on loosely, see how the risers want to lie, and then tighten up the compression nuts. In some cases, I'm best off pointing the stops down, rather than up.

Bjferri

DoD Army
Reaction score
Asthetically I want them pointing up. I have a decorative wall hung sink w/ exposed plumbing that hits you in the face when sitting on toilet. Maybe this is a good argument for compression; would rather have IPS though...

rudytheplbr

36 Journeyman Plbr
Reaction score
Did you Know

Did you no that there is a new style fixture shut-off valve. Its copper tube sized and you just push it on to the 1/2" supply tube. Looks neat and I beleive it's Talon that makes them.

Good Luck,:):)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks