(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Moen Monticello - New Shower Valve Leaking?

Default Moen Monticello - New Shower Valve Leaking?

I had a new shower valve installed when we were re-tiling our bathroom shower, and we had the spout capped until last night, when we were running the leak test on the new shower pan. It seemed to be working fine (other than not much pressure coming out of the pipe, but that could be because we didn't have a shower head on there), and it turned off fine with no drips. But at about 6AM this morning, when someone got up and took a shower in the other bathroom, and started running water in the kitchen (changing water pressure in the house?) it started to drip water like crazy! I only heard it because of the water test had the pan filled with the water, and it made lound splashing noises. It wasn't a little drip either, it was quite a bit of water splashing out of it.

Could the plumber have heated the valve too much when he was soldering the pipes around it and melted something in there? It seems wierd that it wouldn't leak all night, but only start leaking that morning all of a sudden. I couldn't turn it off either. I just had to put the cap back on the pipe.

Any ideas? Is there something I can do to fix this, or should I have that one cut out and another one put in? We haven't tiled the walls yet, so it is still exposed (thank goodness) if we need to do that.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    -Karin

Default Moen

At worst you just need a new core. It could have been overheated but that should not have produced you situation.

Anything is possible... I remove plastic cartridges from valves before I sweat them in place.

I would suggest calling 1-800-BUY-Moen... You do have a lifetime guarantee. They will send you free replacement parts!

GRRRR.....okay. So I called Moen & they sent me a replacement plastic part. I had a heck of a time getting the old one out, and noticed that one of the rubber seals on the outside of the cartridge was torn, like it was cut on the edge. I felt around on the inside of the valve to see if there was a sharp edge, and it all felt smooth. Anyway, I replaced the plastic part of the cartridge and put it back in according to directions, and now it is leaking worse than before! In fact, it is a constant stream of water, not just dripping. I pulled the cartridge out and noticed that the new rubber piece on the side was also squished where the other one was. It wasn't sliced all the way through like the old one, but it was definitely not how it was supposed to be. Also, another question, is the pressure balancing valve inside the stem core supposed to come out the end of the cartridge? There is a plastic piece that fits on the end to keep it inside, but it comes off easily and the inside balancing valve will come out. Is this supposed to happen, because I didn't see anything about that in the instructions?
    -Karin

At this point I would recommend calling Moen again.

you have the large posi-temp type cartridge.They should not come apart that easily. I found that lately 3 out of 10 valve bodies are slicing or disfiguring the cartridge rubber gaskets. Call them again and have them send you another one

Last edited by Terry; 05-20-2009 at 12:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by krow View Post
    you have the large posi-temp type cartridge.They should not come apart that easily. I found that lately 3 out of 10 valve bodies are slicing or disfiguring the cartridge rubber gaskets. Call them again and have them send you another one
    Another what? Cartridge or a whole new body?

Quote Originally Posted by Nate R View Post
    Another what? Cartridge or a whole new body?
    Another cartridge. This time, lubricate the cartridge liberially and slowly slide it in (lol, sounds funny enough like KY)