I can help people with Cable TV questions/problems

Users who are viewing this thread

riccet

Reaction score
I like this site, there seem to be a lot nice helpful people here. I will be in and out of here often, trying to learn and maybe help where I can. I have three years of commercial and residential Cable TV installation experience in case anyone has problems or questions they would like to address.

Chris75

Electrician
Reaction score
I like this site, there seem to be a lot nice helpful people here. I will be in and out of here often, trying to learn and maybe help where I can. I have three years of commercial and residential Cable TV installation experience in case anyone has problems or questions they would like to address.

Whats the longest RG6 feed you would recommend? I ran RG11 a distance of 175' from building "A" to building "B" is that acceptable?

riccet

Reaction score
Whats the longest RG6 feed you would recommend?
Hi Chris, I like to stick to under 200 feet (in fact a normal AO will rarely be over 75 unless the house is wrapped), but it's more determinate on other factors. What is the signal strength at the demark, at the tap? Are you running the lines with electrical power lines? What kind of fittings are you using? Are you running through splitters? Are you keeping it all rolled up? Are you amping it? Theoretically you could run RG6 for miles as long as you kept amping the signal.

I have run RG6 drops of over 225 feet and then added splitters and maybe another 75 feet to the A/O and the signal strength was fine. Or I had to amp it, you pick. I have run 200 foot RG9 A/O to 15 feet of RG58 and it sucked, but was watchable. Amped off a mainline drop. What are you gonna do (rhetorical)? It all depends on what you have to work with.

I ran RG11 a distance of 175' from building "A" to building "B" is that acceptable?

Did it work?

I get the feeling you are quizzing me out of Comcast tech book. I learned OJT with the occasional demeaning scream directed at me by the installation manager. I have worked for several different systems and they each have different rules. I think the last one was max 150' (squeeze 200 at risk of losing job) drops using RG9. RG11 would certainly be acceptable if someone bothered to keep it in stock. RG6 was unacceptable because their tap strength sucked.

I am a direct descendant of the lady who donated Coe park.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks