American Standard Colony Diverter Problems

Users who are viewing this thread

millsde

Reaction score
I replaced the stems on a 1972 vintage American Standard Colony set. I fished 'most' of the peaces out of the old ones, replacing cold, hot and divertor colony long stems (link below for picture of diverter) http://www.suttonplumbing.com/pc-470-19-as-colony-diverter-long.aspx

I have good pressure but from the gitgo I was bypassing too much water to the tub spout when fully diverted to the shower. I finally called a friend, a full time plumber to come look at it.

He took it out, did what he wanted and put it back. Still bypassing water. He said give it a couple weeks to fully seat. (Fine freind, huh?)
Well, a couple months later my wife is about to kill me if I don't fix it.

I pulled it out and it tried to stick like the old one when I pull it. When I got it out, the backing screw stayed in. Fortunately this one didn't fall down the valve body and I fished it out.

Now, the questions. Do I lock-tight that sucker? Tighten it down tighter against that nylon bushing? What is grabbing it and working it out as the diverter is rotated?
Why can't I get more water to divert to the shower? No probs fully diverted to the tub spout. I could understand if I was getting water up to the shower when trying to use the tub spout. Like a partial obstruction from a dropped screw or stem peaces? I just don't visualize an obstruction up to the shower.

Any help is of course very appreciated.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks