Help with tub backboard for tiling

Users who are viewing this thread

Sheepies666

Reaction score
This weekend a friend of the family installed a new tub for us and put new backboard around it. Unfortunately, he didn't do the greatest job with it and now I need to know how to fix it!
The backboard sticks out from the wall 1/4" at the top (which it always did) and continues down straight until about a foot from the top of the tub. At which point it rapidly tapers down to nothing!
We need a relatively flat surface for tileing, and also to make it look finished. My question...how do I add an extra 1/4" thickness to the area? It has to be able to hold up ceramic tiles :eek:
Any help???

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You can put some thinset mortar on it up to 1/4" thick, let it harden, then put on the tile. Regular thinset shouldn't be greater than 1/4" in a single layer (although you can layer it if you let it set inbetween). The tub should have a tile flange on it, if it doesn't , you may need to do some other things to make sure you don't have a moisture problem. The backerboard (this is cement backer board he put up?) should not come all the way to the top of the tub - there should be a small gap.

I suggest you ask your questions over on www.johnbridge.com you'll get more info on tiling there. Some of the same people frequent this place, but that is specifically on tiling.

Sheepies666

Reaction score
Thanks a million! I've gone over and joined that board and gotten some excellent advice :) I really appreciate the help

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks