(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 27

Thread: Stronger Pump for Higher Pressure

  1. #1
    DIY Senior Member Bob1000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Egypt
    Posts
    110

    Default Stronger Pump for Higher Pressure

    I had a 3/4 HP self priming pump boosting the city pressure , the max pressure that pump can make is 4 Bar (56 PSI) . I have also a 24Liter pressure tank and a pressure switch
    I set the pressure switch to 50/70 PSI ( which is the comfortable pressures for my house) and I had no problem in the past .

    Recently the city pressure became very low so the pump would not shut off at that setting and it will eventually burn out if I did not notice to shut it off manually during that low pressure hours.

    I posted here the problem and many memebers told me that I got the wrong pump because self priming pumps dont generate much of a pressure so I bought a 2HP cenrifugal pump ( Ebara 2CDX 70/20 ) which is the highest pressure I could find in that make for a single phase range , it can do 6Bar ( 84PSI) without depending on any city pressure and think it would work comfortably.
    Did I buy the correct type of pump this time?

    Please have a look to the pump spacs here at the following link and you can download the leaflet there as well

    http://http://www.ebaraeurope.com/ap...=entrata&FLAG=

    Main features are Q= 20 liter/min at Head = 60 m which is equal to 6 Bar or 84 PSI

    Before I start the installation , I would very much appreciate your opinions or any tips

  2. #2
    Previous member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Riverview, Fl.
    Posts
    4,540

    Default

    I don't speak Bar and Liters very well, but the link doesn't work.

    What you should have bought in my opinion was a jet pump. They typically make 60 + psi out of the box. I don't know what your using this pump for, but a 1/2hp jet would do nicely for an average home. A two horsepower centrifugal would be fine for an apartment building.

    bob...

  3. #3
    Sprinkler Guy Wet_Boots's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Metro NYC
    Posts
    798

    Default

    Wasn't this all but beaten to death in some earlier threads? Still no jet pump? E-freaking-gad. Someone apply a cricket bat!
    http://www.terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13117
    http://www.terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16823

  4. #4
    DIY Senior Member Bob1000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Egypt
    Posts
    110

    Default Jet pump

    Thanks for the reply , however they do not do JET Pumps here for some reason !!! they would call the self priming a jet pump
    The link is here another time please have a look and advise back
    Thank you
    http://www.ebaraeurope.com/appebara/...=entrata&FLAG=

  5. #5
    DIY Senior Member Bob1000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Egypt
    Posts
    110

    Default Self Priming JET Pump

    Quote Originally Posted by Wet_Boots View Post
    Wasn't this all but beaten to death in some earlier threads? Still no jet pump? E-freaking-gad. Someone apply a cricket bat!
    http://www.terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13117
    http://www.terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16823

    I TRIED TO FIND A JET PUMP BUT IT SEEM THAT THE TERM IT IS NOT KNOWN IN MY COUNTRY
    ALL WHAT I FOUND IS A ( SELF PRIMING JET PUMP ) THEN i AM MORE CONFUSED NOW BECAUSE I THOUGHT - AFTER THOSE DISCUSSIONS - THAT THE SELF PRIMING IS TOTALLY DIFFERENT FROM THE JET PUMP
    Please have a look to this link then you would understand why I got the new centrifugal pump and not a jet pump

    http://www.ebaraeurope.com/appebara/...=entrata&FLAG=

  6. #6
    Sprinkler Guy Wet_Boots's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Metro NYC
    Posts
    798

    Default

    Uhh, jet pumps are allowed to escape the borders of the United States. Don't know where you've been shopping. Here's one thought - in the unlikely event you cannot get your hands on a shallow-well jet pump (the best choice for the job) one might employ a deep-well convertible pump, with the shallow-well ejector assembly bolted onto it, which gives the functional equivalent of a shallow well jet pump, albeit at a higher cost.

    You do want a jet pump for your application. In terms of pressure increase, a half-horsepower jet gives you more than a five-horsepower centrifugal.

  7. #7
    Sprinkler Guy Wet_Boots's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Metro NYC
    Posts
    798

    Default

    Your link doeasn't work for me. Nothing I read indicates another name for a "shallow-well jet pump" but there may be other terms. If all else fails, look at performance curves and match something to the American jet-pump curves.
    http://www.europeanpumps.co.uk/
    http://www.pumpgroup.co.uk/
    http://www.michael-smith-engineers.co.uk/
    http://www.agriculturalwaterengineers.com/
    http://www.panks.co.uk/

  8. #8
    DIY Senior Member Bob1000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Egypt
    Posts
    110

    Default Equivalent to Jet Pump

    Quote Originally Posted by Wet_Boots View Post
    Uhh, jet pumps are allowed to escape the borders of the United States. Don't know where you've been shopping. Here's one thought - in the unlikely event you cannot get your hands on a shallow-well jet pump (the best choice for the job) one might employ a deep-well convertible pump, with the shallow-well ejector assembly bolted onto it, which gives the functional equivalent of a shallow well jet pump, albeit at a higher cost.

    You do want a jet pump for your application. In terms of pressure increase, a half-horsepower jet gives you more than a five-horsepower centrifugal.
    Thank you for your help , would you be kind enough to just log in to this web site www.ebaraeurope.com then click on products , you will see all different kinds of pumps produced by Ebara which is a very famous best quality make ( Japanease origin / Italian production for domestic pumps )
    You wll never find the term JET PUMP except in SELF PRIMING JET PUMP .
    Please have a look to the performance curves of those different pumps and advise me which one I should buy.
    It is very disappointing to me to have to buy a 2HP very expensive centrifugal pump while I could have bought a 1/2 HP JET PUMP but believe me this is the only pump that I found that can give 84 PSI at min discharge which is about 5gal/min

  9. #9
    Sprinkler Guy Wet_Boots's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Metro NYC
    Posts
    798

    Default

    I can't answer as to how pumps are named on the east side of the Atlantic, but almost any pump that can lift water could be called "self-priming" - makes it less than useful as a descriptor. "shallow-well jet pump" got me some UK hits.

    If you are now deciding to require a pressure boost of 84 psi, then you have changed your requirements from what you described in earlier threads. You are leaving behind what a jet pump can produce, and entering the realm of multi-stage pumps. Tread with caution, because these create forces that can damage your plumbing. http://www.ebaraeurope.com/appebara/..._prd&COD=90168

  10. #10
    DIY Senior Member Bob1000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Egypt
    Posts
    110

    Default Did you have a look?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wet_Boots View Post
    I can't answer as to how pumps are named on the east side of the Atlantic, but almost any pump that can lift water could be called "self-priming" - makes it less than useful as a descriptor. "shallow-well jet pump" got me some UK hits.

    If you are now deciding to require a pressure boost of 84 psi, then you have changed your requirements from what you described in earlier threads. You are leaving behind what a jet pump can produce, and entering the realm of multi-stage pumps. Tread with caution, because these create forces that can damage your plumbing. http://www.ebaraeurope.com/appebara/..._prd&COD=90168
    Did you have a look to the link I sent you ? Please if it did not work , just copy and paste into your browser and log in and have a look to the pumps types and tell me what you can consider equivalent to a JET pump or which pump curve would do the same job as JET pump
    I already bought that 2CDXM 70/20 2HP Twin Impeller centrifugal pump because I found it the ONLY pump in the single phase range which can produce 60m head ( 84 PSI)

    I WOULD HAVE BEEN VERY VERY GLAD IF I COULD DO WITH A 1/2 HP JET PUMP ( simply because it would be 20% of the price I paid for that very expensive $600pump ) BUT SIMPLY THIS PUMP DOES NOT EXIST IN MY COUNTRY !

    Looking forward to hear from you , I need to have your opinion prior to going ahead and install this pump in case it is the wrong pump again for any reason !
    Thanks again in advance

  11. #11
    Moderator valveman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Lubbock, Texas
    Posts
    4,156

    Default

    The 50 hertz curve shows that pump will deliver about 10 GPM at 80 PSI. So yes it should work. Their Matrix 3 would also work with a .45 KW motor. I can't believe there are not more types of pumps to choose from in your area. Maybe it is the 50 Hertz that keeps a jet pump from working properly. I don't have any 50 hertz curves for jet pumps.

  12. #12
    Sprinkler Guy Wet_Boots's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Metro NYC
    Posts
    798

    Default

    ebaraeurope.com has a crappy website, and I won't waste any more of my time with it. A two-stage centrifugal pump is massive overkill for a house booster. I really don't know where you are, and with whom you deal, but I could find some jet pumps on UK sites. Try this site and look for JP series pumps. They are also sold in the US, and are called jet pumps there. It looks like you may not have the advantage of using "jet pump" as a UK search term. Looks like another example of "two nations divided by a common language"

    There is no question that you do not need a boost of 84 psi. Not unless you are in a skyscraper. That kind of pump money would buy you an equivalent to a Goulds J5SH and enough pressure tanks to smooth out fluctuations in pressure.

  13. #13
    DIY Senior Member Bob1000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Egypt
    Posts
    110

    Default Location

    Quote Originally Posted by Wet_Boots View Post
    ebaraeurope.com has a crappy website, and I won't waste any more of my time with it. A two-stage centrifugal pump is massive overkill for a house booster. I really don't know where you are, and with whom you deal, but I could find some jet pumps on UK sites. Try this site and look for JP series pumps. They are also sold in the US, and are called jet pumps there. It looks like you may not have the advantage of using "jet pump" as a UK search term. Looks like another example of "two nations divided by a common language"

    There is no question that you do not need a boost of 84 psi. Not unless you are in a skyscraper. That kind of pump money would buy you an equivalent to a Goulds J5SH and enough pressure tanks to smooth out fluctuations in pressure.

    I am sorry about the web site but the house (3floors) is in Egypt and I can not hand carry a Goulds Pump from Uk to Egypt as it would cost a fortune

    I found a Goulds agent here tho but he does not sell Jet Pumps either !!! because they found that they would not compete on domestic pumps so they only deal in heavy industrial stuff and left the domestic pumps for the so many Italian makes here like Calpeda , Lowara , and Ebara which is supposed to be the best quality ever !!!

    Now , need final opinion before I go ahead and fix the pump I bought , shall I fix it and fix a pressure regulator at house entrance pipe ?

  14. #14
    Sprinkler Guy Wet_Boots's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Metro NYC
    Posts
    798

    Default

    Sorry, I thought you were a UK member. I know that there has to be an jet pump for you, no matter what they name it. The technology is simply too universal.

  15. #15
    DIY Senior Member Bob1000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Egypt
    Posts
    110

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wet_Boots View Post
    Sorry, I thought you were a UK member. I know that there has to be an jet pump for you, no matter what they name it. The technology is simply too universal.
    I am a UK member but this is my family house here , believe me I searched the local market here for a JET pump that can give 60 PSI up to 1 HP , something like that Goulds one you told me about simply they do not exist

    It is really a petty to buy and fix a 2HP centrifugal pump while a simple Jet Pump 0.45HP would do the job !!!

    I have spoken to the technical departements of those 3 famous makes here and all of them did not have something called a JET PUMP 0.45 or even 0.75 HP that can give say 60 PSI on its own .
    That is why I had to go for the bigger centrifugal pump
    I think Valveman has had a look to Ebara web site and has found out they dont make such a pump , the 2 other makes are the same .

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •