Third floor a/c

Users who are viewing this thread

Squ1rrel

Reaction score
I just moved into a 3rd floor apartment, first time in this large of a building. since I have moved, I have noticed 2 problems with my A/C.

First, it never seem to cool off the apartment. I had the thermostat set for 75 last night, as far as I know it never dropped that low...and it was about that temp outside(also raining, hence no windows open).

Second, I get almost no air out of the bathroom register, which is a standard ceiling grill, but only has a 1" hole in the back of it. at the same time the a/c is running, I hear a loud rattling noise above my bathroom. I believe all three floors have their A/C's on the ground.

My questions are, are either of these normal, or would I be correct in going to the management staff?

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
First thing I would do is find out if you are paying for the electricity to run the unit that is supposed to cool your apartment.

If you are, then you should make sure that it is cooling only your own apartment and doing it effectively. Maybe you are cooling the commons spaces if someone has tapped off the system. If you have a unit dedicated to your unit maybe it has a refrigerant leak.

A 1" hole in supplying the cooling for a bathroom seems inadequate but may be related to ventilating rather than A/C.

If the apartment owner is responsible for maintenance then you should get with them about fixing the problem.

Squ1rrel

Reaction score
Thanks Bob. Turns out that 1" was an intake, despite air blowing out of it... On the Upside, they came out to fix the a/c BEFORE I complained, it needed to refrigerant. Still not sure what that vibrating noise in the ductwork is though, but the ac is working, so I'm not arguing in this Texas weather!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks