Carrying Water Away from Foundation

Users who are viewing this thread

jacksmith7

Reaction score
This may not be the proper place for this post, but I'll try it anyway. I want to run 4" underground drains for all my downspouts and sump pump discharge. The drains will empty into drainage ditch behind my house.

My question is, which PVC would work best for this? I thought about using schedule 40, but that seems like an overkill. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
If you think Sch40 is an overkill, you could always try SDR35 (a thinner walled PVC, also rated for underground use only) or just plain weeping tile with the sock around the tubing to keep the sand out for a longer period of time

riccet

Reaction score
My question is, which PVC would work best for this? I thought about using schedule 40, but that seems like an overkill. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Hi, I used the cheaper black corrugated non-perforated (HDPE) pipe to run my drains. It works fine and is somewhat flexible; going around deck footers, etc. You can get it in 100' rolls, roll it out straight and let it sit in the sun awhile to make it easier to work with. I taped some tyvek or landscape fabric around the joints to keep the silt out. Make sure you form a p-trap at a visible outlet, or put some kind of grating on it to keep the rodents out.

The sch-40 PVC would be used across a driveway, but is not needed in normal lawn area. The OEM engineer says the HDPE pipe buried 24" deep in my compacted clay soil will support a 2-ton vehicle driving over it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks