Polishing a stainless steel sink?

Users who are viewing this thread

Riker1384

Reaction score
The hardware store carries a kit to polish a stainless steel sink that's old and scratched up. It has a collection of abrasive pads. Do these things work? Are they worth the trouble, or is it something that will take many hours?

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have used the orbital sanders that are use on wood. I folded up several layers of paper towel to make a pad, moistened it with light oil, and applied a liberal amount of pumice. You want to make the pad large enough so you don't beat up the sink with the metal parts at the edge of the sander.

Riker1384

Reaction score
I have used the orbital sanders that are use on wood. I folded up several layers of paper towel to make a pad, moistened it with light oil, and applied a liberal amount of pumice. You want to make the pad large enough so you don't beat up the sink with the metal parts at the edge of the sander.
Thanks, but I don't have any power tools on hand.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
polish

You might not want a power tool. Most of the better stainless steel sink manufacturers tell you to polish the sink "with the grain" not in a circular pattern.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If this is a polished rather than brushed finish, I doubt you can return the polish unless you actually do use power tools. If it is a brushed finish...it will look weird if you don't follow the existing grain pattern. ANyone that buys a polished SS sink lives in a dream world, as it will likely never look as good as when the contractor leaves your door.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks