Ratteling Copper Pipes

Users who are viewing this thread

froddan

Reaction score
Hi!
I have experienced some loud ratteling in my hot water pipes lately.
I've tried to find to solution, but nothing really seems to match my case.

It seems to only be the hot-water pipes, which is 1/2" copper, and it only rattles when I use either the kitchen sink or the bathroom sink which is next to the kitchen.

The ratteling is quite loud, and it starts after the hot water has been running for some time (maybe a minute or so). It doesn't happen all the time...occasionally I can run it for longer without any problems at all.
If I turn off the hot water when the rattling starts, it normally comes back quickly after I turn on the water.
If I don't turn off the water when the rattling starts, the water flow stops completely after a little while.

No problems with the down stairs water, which is actually "after" the rattling in the pipe maze.
Pipes go like this:
1. Hot water heater
2. Kitchen sink (rattles)
3. Bathroom (rattles)
4. Downstairs bath room - no problems
5. Laundry room - no problems

Thanks for any advice!!!

F

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A loose washer in a shutoff can cause it to move in the water stream causing the flow to fluctuate creating that effect. Make sure the undersink shutoffs are fully opened. If they are multiple turn valves, you might consider replacing them with 1/4-turn ball valves. It could be in the sink's faucet (rather than the shutoff) as well.

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
Usually a loose or worn out spindle will create a rattling noise (usually hot water, sometimes cold). It could be the spindle on a vavle, but I'm betting on the hot water spindle on the kitchen sink faucet.

froddan

Reaction score
Hot water spindle...

Thanks for both of your suggestions.
My task is now to figure out if there is a loose spindle...not exactly sure where to start, but removing the faucets in kitchen and bathroom sounds good.

I might be wrong about ratteling vs. hammering...as it is pretty loud.

Thanks again!!!

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
My task is now to figure out if there is a loose spindle...not exactly sure where to start,
You cannot tell by looking at it. Remove the cartridge out of the hot water tap from the faucet that is creating the rattling.. If the stem is very loose in the bonnet (move it back and forth with your fingers) , then that part is most likely your issue

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks