Hot Water Heater Keeps turning off

Users who are viewing this thread

finesstan

Reaction score
I have a Hot Water Heater about 50-55 gals. thats giving me trouble. Everymorning for the past 3days I noticed no hotwater. I go down into my basement to check on the H.W. Heater and noticed a (Red) light flashing on the control box. I reset the heater by fliping the switch on the the control box. This normally does the trick but now the light comes on more frequently. Can anyone tell me what could be causing the promblem? Do I need the get another H.W. Heater? My unit is only 5 years old.

Thanks
Derrick

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Get out your manual and find out what code is flashing. That would tell us what might be the issue. With a control panel like that, it sounds like you have either a tankless, or a power vent. There are different issues with each of these.

perhaps you could give us your make and model, and also post a picture of the installation.

finesstan

Reaction score
Hot Water Heater problem

I'm posted a diagram of my Hot Water Heater. I can't remember the make and model but I can give you that later today. This is however a power vented unit. I did check my manual for any diagnotic codes for the flashing red light but there were none. The manual simply stated to check the electical wiring and components to make sure they are working properly. I'm always having to turn the unit off and on to get it started. After reseting the switch I did watch the unit go through a heating cycle and noticed the burner was flaming in and out until it finally shut off. That's when the red light started flashing again. Do you think this is something simple that can be fixed or do i need to buy a new heater? This unit is only 5yrs old. I did the proper mantainence by cleaning any dust or dibre from around the burner but this still did not fix the problem.

Thanks

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Is the fan running? Is the outlet blocked? Are there any leaks in the exhaust vent? It might be the pressure sensor or the flame detector or a blockage or leak in the flue.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
This water heater is locking out for safety related reasons! I would recommend calling a plumber to troubleshoot the unit and make the needed repairs!

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hot Water Heater

Double What Redwood Posted;

It Is Trying To Save You And Your Family From A Dangerous
Conditions :(

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks