Pump sizing

Users who are viewing this thread

dougle

Reaction score
What would happen if i connected a jet shallow pump 3/4hp to a system (lateral)that required only 5 gpm. Flow out of the pump with no pressure (no resistance) is 9gpm. I have no pressure settings on this pump, turn it on and let it pump. Will the pump burn out as the resistance (5gpm) is not enough for the pump? i know that the pressure will increase as it tries to put 9 gpm out. have i got this right? just trying to size a system.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
The pressure will increase and the pump should work fine.

Shallow well jet pumps are tolerant of throttling and will operate at a point that is stable for the conditions of lift and discharge pressure. The final pressure will depend on suction lift and flow rate and will probably be somewhere in the range of 50 to 70 psi.

dougle

Reaction score
Thanks Bob, I assume then that increasing the flow rate (ie adding another head) would reduce the pressure? (ie to 40-45psi) thanks

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thanks Bob, I assume then that increasing the flow rate (ie adding another head) would reduce the pressure? (ie to 40-45psi) thanks

Yes. You can test the pump, or look at the curve for the particular model.

9 GPM is quite low flow for a 3/4 HP shallow well jet pump.

Here is data for a Goulds 3/4 HP J7 convertible or J7S shallow well jet pump. The unbolded entries are GPM at the Pressure/Lift conditions.

. . . . Pressure - PSI
Lift, 30.0, 40.0, 50.0, 60.0, MaxP
5 ft, 21.3, 18.3, 12.5, 6.6, Max70
10 ft, 18.8, 17.3, 11.3, 5.0, Max 68
15 ft, 16.4, 15.5, 9.6, 3.7, Max 66
20 ft, 13.6, 13.2, 8.3, 2.0, Max 63
25 ft, 10.0, 9.9, 6.4, 1.0*, Max59

*The 1.0 GPM entry at 60 psi doesn't make sense for a pumping condition that makes 59 psi max but that is what was in the table.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks