well usage

Users who are viewing this thread

rbig

Reaction score
On a 30' shallow well with 1.5hp pump: we have 4 hose bibs, and will normally try two watering setups at a time. With both hose bibs running, to shut pump off:

1. Do I turn both bibs off before shutting power off? Some guys have said leave 'em open.

2. If shutting down with hose bibs open, will power to pump normally bring it right back on later?

To my way of thinking leaving the hose bibs open would possibly deplete your prime, to an extant.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
prime

IT depends on how the pump and system is installed, but normally the only way to lose the prime is to pump the well dry so you suck air into the pump. If there is no check valve, however, then opening the hose faucet will allow the water to drain out and pull air into the pump doing the same thing. But it would make no difference whether you turned off the pump with the valves open or opened them at any time when the pump was not operating.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks