(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pressure Switch for booster pump

You can't set a Pressure Relief Valve at the same pressure as the dead head of the pump. The valve will not open and the pump will burn up. Even if you set it at a lower pressure, the "suddenly" open part will cause a water hammer that will bounce your pressure switch off before the tank gets full.

The pump will not "struggle" to fill the tank at 1 GPM. It will actually give you a little run time to fill the tank, which is also important. You don't want the tank to fill instantly and the pump shut off. Pumps need some run time, which it will have when topping off the tank at 1 GPM.

Default Fluomac

Quote Originally Posted by valveman View Post
    You can't set a Pressure Relief Valve at the same pressure as the dead head of the pump. The valve will not open and the pump will burn up. Even if you set it at a lower pressure, the "suddenly" open part will cause a water hammer that will bounce your pressure switch off before the tank gets full.

The pump will not "struggle" to fill the tank at 1 GPM. It will actually give you a little run time to fill the tank, which is also important. You don't want the tank to fill instantly and the pump shut off. Pumps need some run time, which it will have when topping off the tank at 1 GPM.

But the end result is the pump would stop and that what we would need regardless of not filling the tank completely , then the next time you open a faucet the pump would start again after consuming the little water in the tank .
    I believe that at opening the faucet next time you would find the water present at the set shut off pressure which would be fine !
    Why that "little run time " should be important for the pump while it has been running all the time during water usage prior to closing the faucet and the start of the struggle to fill the tank through that very small hole at 1gpm rate ?
    How this small amount of water would cool the pump? what you mean by that? Do you mean that if the small hole is blocked the pump would heat up ? if that what you mean then of course I understand , but if you mean that that small amount of water would cool the pump in general then I dont understand what the original flow was doing to the pump during the normal water usage !
    I would feel sorry for a 2HP pump to do that , wouldnt that make it heat up and eventually affect its age ?

I have used a device called Fluomac , you can have a look at it www.italtecnica.com without the need of a pressure tank but the result was that you would open the faucet and you would find almost no water or very weak pressure then suddenly the pump starts and you have a blast of water , that have created many terrible problems in water usage in the house specially if you have a guest who does not know that a flood would follow the few drops coming from the tap and keeps opening the tap more and more to have more water then suddenly spalshhhhhhhhhh lollll

I had to REMOVE that device and totally forget about its theory and return to the pressure tank / pressure switch combination after I thought that I would save the efforts of their maintenence from bladders , air pressure , regular cleaning of pressure switch hole which sometimes gets blocked hence pump keeps running although I fixed a pilot lamp in the kitchen which goes on when the pump is running so I could switch it off manually when I suspect abnormal running time .

Any commnets?
    Last edited by Bob1000; 03-27-2008 at 03:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Slusser View Post
    I think the on off is controlled by water flow, not pressure. Otherwise when the pressure is high and the water is off, you turn the water on the pressure would have to fall very quickly to turn the heater on. And that's is what you think happens but, is it pressure or flow? So a flow switch would be a better choice to control the burner. And the range of flow gpm should be adjustable at least some. So all you may have to do is widen it. Another thing is the temperature settings; on/off of the burner must be controlled and and you may be able to adjust them tighter so the water doesn't get so hot or cold.

If I'm right an anti scald mixing valve is going to control flow but not pressure.
    I fixed a pressure regulator hence I obtained a constant pressure and the problem is now solved thanks for every body this forum is wonderful.

If you had previously been using water then run time is not an issue. It becomes an issue when there is a small leak or a small amount of water has been used, such as to rinse a tooth brush. If the pump comes on when you rinse a tooth brush and then suddenly goes back off, you don't have any run time. Filling the tank at 1 GPM will give you the run time no matter what.

However, you have tried just about everything, so try it anyway you want. That is how we came up with the CSV. We tried everything else, then ended up with what works best, which is the CSV. Having been in the pump business many decades, we have had countless thousands of pump systems to try things on, until we came up with what we think is the best solution.

Quote Originally Posted by valveman View Post
    If you had previously been using water then run time is not an issue. It becomes an issue when there is a small leak or a small amount of water has been used, such as to rinse a tooth brush. If the pump comes on when you rinse a tooth brush and then suddenly goes back off, you don't have any run time. Filling the tank at 1 GPM will give you the run time no matter what.

However, you have tried just about everything, so try it anyway you want. That is how we came up with the CSV. We tried everything else, then ended up with what works best, which is the CSV. Having been in the pump business many decades, we have had countless thousands of pump systems to try things on, until we came up with what we think is the best solution.
    Thank you valveman , would you please give me your business email address?

My web page is

www.cyclestopvalves.com

Check your PM's for my email.