No water after repair

Users who are viewing this thread

NurseDoe

Reaction score
I can't get the water to go on after fixing the leaking sink.

Years ago one of the double sink in the 1950's bathroom kept leaking so we turned the water off underneath and always used the other sink. This morning hot water began leaking from the sink, so I replaced the angle valves, the hoses and installed the new faucet that had been waiting there for a year. However, the water does not go on. It went back on every where in the house and in the sink, toliet and shower in that bath. A few drops will come out (2-5 a minute) if I turn the water on full.
I tried turning the angle valves every which way, but no luck. Could someone have turned water off to that sink from somewhere else? I don't use the sink really so it isn't urgent. Just irritating. I had to call a friend of my mom's daughter to help get off the old fixtures and she screwed on the new angle valves.

Any suggestions?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Take the angle valve off and hold a bucket under the pipe while someone cracks the supply valve open. If you don't get water, then trace the pipes back. There very well could be either a shut off valve or the pipe might have been cut off and the supply line capped.

NurseDoe

Reaction score
Gary, I think you mean the supply to the house when you say supply valve. That seems to have a lever that is either off or on.

I tried to get under there again and just take the hose off and see if water came out at all. But I must have the weakest hands in the world. I couldn't undo the connection the girl just put on. I bought a basin wrench and am going to find someplace on line that tells me how to use it. I can't make it stay tight.

Anyway, I turned the cold water on after I was under there trying to unscrew the hose and it came out with pretty low pressure and was VERY rusty, then it stopped. Maybe I need to just leave it all open for a long time?

All my diy books seem to have disappeared when the kids moved out so I have no references to tell me how things work.

thank you for answering so quickly.
doe

NurseDoe

Reaction score
quick update

I went in to try again quickly and once again when I turned the cold water on, it came out for few seconds and went off again. Nothing on the hotwater side. I will try looking outside for another on and off switch somewhere. If not, it looks better and isnt' leaking and I will leave it for another day.

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
What kind of angle valves were installed.?

I'm suspecting that the washers have either melted in place if they were soldered or its possible the valves were overtightened and the washers got stuck to the seat. .

NurseDoe

Reaction score
Nothing soldered. Just those screw on replacement valves from Lowe's. I didn't see her screw them on, but I can't seem to loosen them so I guess that may be the case. In fact, the cold water one only worked a bit when I crawled under and tried to loosen it from the sink. You may be onto to something. I will give it another try. Remember the sink is from the early 50's and it is really high and narrow in there. My brand new basin wrench can only go one quarter turn before it hits the sink and stops. Let's hope it is that simple. The hot water doesn't go on at all.
In the mean while I am going to get one of the those hand exerciser things so I can turn things on my own.
Back I go....Who needs a yoga class?

NurseDoe

Reaction score
Well, I crawled under and loosened the connections under the sink. Houston, we now have running water. I will try loosening the ones closer to the angle valves. The water pressure isn't full, but workable. I was unable to remove that areator (sp?) to see if it were filled with sand. It is amazing how much money you save me! Thank you!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks