Natural gas union on a hot water heater

Users who are viewing this thread

rioguia

Reaction score
I have to replace my Whirlpool Flame Lock water heater. I am having a little problem removing the natural gas feed to the tank. Can anyone tell me which way to turn the union to unscrew the attachment?

I need to know:
1. should I use the large wrench on the union to hold the pipe steady or am I turning it (clockwise / counter-clockwise)?
2. alternatively, am I turning to small wrench on the bottom of the union and turning there (clockwise / counter-clockwise)?

See picture

Thanks for you help in advance.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
a small queston for you

I dont mean to be sarcastic here....and usually I
try to be more helpful........but

if you dont know how to take a gas union off a water heater without asking advice on a plumbing forum......

do you think it a good idea to attempt to tackle the job in the first place??

it appears from the photo that you want to crank it counter clockwise?

dont get yourself in troubles...

rioguia

Reaction score
I still need help.

Are you telling me to crank the large wrench counter-clockwise?

Herk

Plumber
Reaction score
From what I can tell by the photo, your silver-colored wrench is in the correct position, but you may need a larger backup wrench.

And what Mark said is probably true: you're risking the life of yourself and your family as well as major property destruction if you mess up. It's not what you know about plumbing that will get you into trouble, it's what you don't know that you don't know.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you really look at a union, you can see which way the come off. I'd replace that solid plumbing with a flex pipe made for gas. Hope you know enough not get get another Whirlpool.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
union

The big nut has thread on one side of it. That thread unscrews counterclockwise from the half of the union on that side. In your picture it appears that the threaded half is on the bottom.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you try to go the wrong direction, it will not move, but you won't hurt anything. I second the opinion that you don't have the experience to be messing with gas. Call a licensed professional.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Gas...
The energy source that can make your house sneeze...
One minute you own a fine home...
and the next minute you have a vacant lot with a pile of toothpicks in it!

2282888_BG1.jpg

Seriously! Hire a plumber for the gas work!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks