Pump or Pressure tank??

Users who are viewing this thread

GaryS

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have an ~10 year old house/well system. The well is over 500 ft deep and I have an air bladder tank.

Approximately two weeks ago I noticed a change in our system. Whenever there is more than one water user (laundry, shower. etc.) at the same time the water pressure becomes much lower. This was never a problem before and there hasn't been a change in our living conditions. Same number of people, no new appliances, etc.

I did a brief check this morning while my wife was taking a shower...the pump did cycle on and off, about every minute or so. I'm pretty sure that this is how it's always been.

Before I call in a well professional, I wanted to get some opinions as to what the problem might be.

Your thoughts??

-Gary

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
check the tank

Have you checked the tank to see if it is waterlogged?

You didn't say what size your tank is but if your pump is cycling that often a bad bladder tank is likely.

If you are not prepared to replace the tank yourself, call in a pro and get it done before it burns out your pump.

Oregon97

Reaction score
Have you checked the tank to see if it is waterlogged?

You didn't say what size your tank is but if your pump is cycling that often a bad bladder tank is likely.

If you are not prepared to replace the tank yourself, call in a pro and get it done before it burns out your pump.

CC how do you tell if it is water logged? If you push in the pressure valve and it spits water, is that water logged?

I don't want to steal this thread, but I'm also having a pressure/pump issue. If I use the water in short burst I'm fine. Take a shower, fill up the animals water tanks my pump over heats and shuts off. This just started. I have replaced the pumptrol and that didn't solve anything. Could this be the pressure tank or could i Have a faulty pump?

Also if the pressure tanl is working fine, how long should the pump be on/off between 60/40 psi?

thanks for your help

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
tank

If water spits out the tank is broken and waterlogged. If air comes out it may or may not be okay depending on what the pressure is when all the water pressure is drained from the system. If neither air or water comes out the tank is waterlogged, but it should be okay once the air charge is replaced.

GaryS

Reaction score
Do you have any kind of filtration. Inline filters, Water Softener, Iron filter etc?

bob...

Hi Bob,

Yes, I do have an in-line whole house filter, located right next to the pressure tank. The filter is, however, not the issue. That was one of the first things I did when I noticed the drop in water pressure...i changed the filter.

BTW...I talked to my local well & pump guy today. He thinks it may be a loss of air pressure in the tank. he's going to be here on friday morning and I'll let everyone know what he finds.

-Gary

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks