Main Piping for Shared Well

Users who are viewing this thread

madiana

Reaction score
There are nine of us using a shared well on our street. Every spring we seem to have need of an expensive repair when the thaw comes and the water main breaks. This years' break is a disaster: non-member's driveway destroyed, 3 days to locate parts, etc., etc. The mains are 3-inch ductile and I don't know their age. I've been on the internet looking at coatings. Is there anything out there that will help us reduce the number of repairs? Coating or otherwise? ANY info will be appreciated!!! :eek:

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
It will help if you use a pipe that is more accommodating to deflections, and put it well below the frost line.

It is unlikely that you can do anything about the pipe in the ground to help it survive the deflections that occur when the ground moves due to deep frost.

Most new water lines are plastic and will bend a lot before they break.

You may be able to bore under driveways to avoid digging them up.

madiana

Reaction score
Yes, we desperately need to dig it all up and start over with good piping and modernize everything. But, as I'm sure you can imagine, it's the same old song. No one has the money and costs go up every day. I'm sure we'll struggle along. But hey, thanks for writing!

Bill Arden

Computer Programmer
Reaction score
Website
www.billarden.com
Yes, we desperately need to dig it all up and start over with good piping and modernize everything. But, as I'm sure you can imagine, it's the same old song. No one has the money and costs go up every day. I'm sure we'll struggle along. But hey, thanks for writing!

There is the possibility of doing it incrementally.

Each time there is a failure, dig up that section and replace.

Then lay Styrofoam over the pipe to effectively lower it and reduce frost.

It's amazing what a little Styrofoam can do.
FYI: Here in MN a 8 foot wide piece of 2 inch foam burred 1 foot underground can prevent frost, while the normal frost line is around 6 feet.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pipe

But in this case, if that were the case they would also not have any water in the wintertime until the pipe thawed. If it were "deep frozen" that might not happen until summertime when the ground thawed out.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks