No Water --Mansfield Frost-Proof sill cock

Users who are viewing this thread

Lowell

Reaction score
Mansfield Model 578-8L

I'm unable to get any water out of outdoor faucet (anti-siphon frost proof sill cock). Faucet was fine when I used it last(last Fall). Hose was disconnected before freezing temps and was OK then. Now no water at all from faucet. The handle turns normally. I removed handle and the stem turns out OK. Removed anti-siphon cap and no blockage there. Is there something on the indoor end of spout that could stick and cut off all water pressure?

I certainly would appreciate and suggestions/comments. Thanks

TonyBagadonutz

Electrician
Reaction score
This might be a dumb question....is there another valve that was tuned off last fall?

Clayton

Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Mansfield

Good question from Tony...

If that is not the case, another common problem with these faucets is that the hose bibb washer is stuck to the seat. Here is another thread about this faucet with a picture of the internals of the faucet. https://terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1919
There is a spring loaded "plunger" on the end of the stem that the bibb washer is attached to. This works as a check valve, Even though the handle may be full open the plunger can still be pushed back against the seat and shut off the water flow. Sometimes when the faucet is shut off too tight or the bibb washer forms to the shape of the seat, it can get stuck and not open even though the handle is in the open position.

Shut the water off and disassemble the faucet to look at all the parts to make sure they are in good condition. Go ahead and buy the repair kit and replace all the included parts then give it a try. You can turn the water on for a few seconds while the stem is removed to make sure that was the problem and to flush any debris out of the faucet body.

Good luck...

Lowell

Reaction score
That is a good point from Tony. Unfortunately, I don't have a separate shutoff for this line.

I will checkout info from Clayton as soon as I can locate the 630-7755 kit.
Thanks Much

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks