Basement Bathroom Plumbing

Users who are viewing this thread

bq

Reaction score
I've been lurking about here for a few weeks, and have learned a lot about drainage and venting. I have attached a drawing of my proposed drainage system for my basement. The biggest question i have is on the double wye fitting where the shower, sink and toilet drain join up. Is there any problem with the using the double wye here. The toilet is vented through a wet vent via the sink drain. Techinally it seems to be wet vented through the shower drain as well. Any other comments or observations are appreciated as well.
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• BasementBath.jpg
    BasementBath.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 7,954

Prashster

Reaction score
Not sure you can do the toilet like that; doesn't it require a vent break closer to the flange?

Also, if it were me, I'm not sure I'd like all those turns for the shower. Why not just go straight to the ejector/sewer.

You can then have the sink and the toilet run into that 'main' separately.

bq

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

The toilet drain is a 3" drain and from the elbow to the wye is less than 2 feet so i thought this was within the trap to vent max distance.

I don't like turning the shower drain around that much either, but i am very close on the maximum trap to vent distance of 5 feet if i go straight to the double wye connection. Do you know where this measurement starts (start of the ptrap, bottom of the p trap, end of the p-trap)? I am literally within a couple inches of hitting 5 feet there. It would be a lot easier if i can go straight to the wye. If i do it the way i have it drawn, i have to drill a hole in the concrete slab to bring that shower vent up.

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

The toilet drain is a 3" drain and from the elbow to the wye is less than 2 feet so i thought this was within the trap to vent max distance.

Yup that is fine.

I don't like turning the shower drain around that much either, but i am very close on the maximum trap to vent distance of 5 feet if i go straight to the double wye connection. Do you know where this measurement starts (start of the ptrap, bottom of the p trap, end of the p-trap)? I am literally within a couple inches of hitting 5 feet there. It would be a lot easier if i can go straight to the wye. If i do it the way i have it drawn, i have to drill a hole in the concrete slab to bring that shower vent up.

I know you said shower, but is it a tub/shower or just shower? If you are doing a shower you should be using 2". I don't know what state you live in but in Ma. you can be 6' from the 2" trap. Hope that helps you.

bq

Reaction score
I'm in Colorado Springs. For the most part, Colorado Springs has adopted the Internation Codes (by the ICC).

This is just a shower, and i am running 2" line. If i am under the distance required by local code trap to vent, do you think the double wye ok as i have drawn (without the specific venting for the shower)?

A little more info on what i have seen in Colorado Springs-This is the second concrete floor i have dug up in Colorado Springs, and both were roughed in with just the wet vent in the sink drain for both the toilet and shower. The houses were originally built in 1986 and 1999. The previous one was a minor change to move the shower. This one is moving the toilet from one side of the wet vent to the other side and sliding the shower drain over about 3 feet.

Thanks

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
As far as i know , you cannot use a double Wye on its back to drain 2 seperate fixtures. One side will tend to be below the horizontal plane. In my code book, it basically says that 2 Seperate Wye need to be installed with the proper venting or wet venting arrangement (which ever is applicable)

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Double Y

If that logic held water then we could also not use double combination Y-1/8 bends and that is not so. We use double Y's frequently. They are installed level so one side is not lower than the other. The hubs have adequate "slop" so the branches can be installed with proper pitch.

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
It does hold water because the inspectors in my neck of the woods say so. You can use the double Y vertically, but not horizontally

bq

Reaction score
I have it all dug out, and I have both the double wye and 2 individual wye's. I guess a quick call to regional building on monday will determine which way it gets put in.

Markts30

Commercial Plumber
Reaction score
I know in PHX the building dept is turning down double wyes and double combos used flat...
You have to use separate wyes here....

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks