Walk out basement drain

Users who are viewing this thread

Prashster

Reaction score
I'm building a walk out entrance for my basement.
I won't be installing a Bilco-style cap door on top; the stairs leading up to the back yard will be uncovered.

My contractor wants to put a drain grate at the bottom that leads to a dry-well about 30 feet away from the house.

The stairwell will enter the house about 5 feet from where my sump pump is.

My question is: Why can't I just lead the drain into the sump? He's telling me it'll make the sump work too hard. But I don't believe him.

What would you do?

Is there anyway to use a drywell as the 'primary' drain but to use the sump as a backup?

riccet

Reaction score
My question is: Why can't I just lead the drain into the sump? He's telling me it'll make the sump work too hard. But I don't believe him.

What would you do?

Is there anyway to use a drywell as the 'primary' drain but to use the sump as a backup?

I'm no expert, but I have a basement entrance, and I am sure I have many of the same issues others have with theirs.

My drain goes to a dry well, and evidently, when that fills up, it comes back to the basement and out through the basement drainage (pre-sump era house). So I don't know how your dry well is set up, but mine fills rather quickly (within two hours of steady rain) and then has to go somewhere (path of least resistance). Will your dry well ever become full? Where will it drain once it is full? Will it come back to the this new basement drain? Will it then flood your basement?

I think the biggest worry about a direct to sump drain is not the amount of water, but is the amount of trash. I mean, how much water do you actually have to worry about from this drain? What is the most amount of rain you get in one hour? Width inches times length inches times inches of rainfall per hour times 0.00432900433 equals gallons/hour into that drain. (W72 * L120 * 2 * 0.00432900433 = 75 Gallons/hr)

I swept my stairs 10 days ago and I just looked; over 100 leaves of 4 different varieties, dirt, dry mud, dust, grass clippings, tennis ball, shovel, pipe tobacco, some used matches, several bugs, one worm visible, one glass marble, and what appears to be (hopefully) a cat hair ball. I don't care how your drain filters, some of that is going to the sump.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks