(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: reading my polybutylene pipe date

Default reading my polybutylene pipe date

My pipe reads:

[COLOR=Sienna]PB2110 SDT 11 .080 CSA CERT 6 15 8' C4 B137 3 IAPMO 1GC-11-78 VANGUARD PLASTICS 3/4' CIS-OP PST 180F OA 82C ASIMD-3309

Does anyone know if the date is somewhere on here? I don't know when it was installed and am trying to figure out if I quality for the class action lawsuit. I have leaks and getting quotes for replacement. It cost a lot more than I recognize! I'm a single girl so this is all new to me!

Thank you for your consideration!
    Last edited by kdclues; 04-13-2005 at 06:33 PM.

Default date

Could that be a number after the 8 rather than an apostrophe? In any case your -potential claim would be governed by the date it was installed, or more specifically, the date the water meter was set and turned on. Right now indoor house piping only goes back to installations between April 13, 1992 and July 31, 1995. Outdoor piping and mobile homes are running out of time because the only ones covered now are between April 13, 1994 and July 31, 1995.

Default re: polybutylene date and meter reading...

Yes, it is an 8, not an apostrophe.

Do you mean indoor house plumbing for the lawsuit? I went to www.pbppc.com/notice.htm and it read Jan 1, 1978 to July 31, 1995. I have a house on a crawl space and it's what is underneath.

I will call my utility for water tomorrow and see if they know when the meter was turned off and then back on. The house was made in 1952 and orginally had some sort of metal pipes. Those pipes are rusty and still in the crawl space.

Thanks for your response

kdclues - I think hj meant could it be " 81 " rather than " 8' "

Default date

The class action went between those dates, but you only had 12 years, plus an additional one to file a claim, after the house was built. Thirteen years before today's date is April 13, 1992, and to qualify for the thirteenth year you had to have had a failure during the first twelve years.

Any of the class action lawyers could identify the code on your pipe, but even if it does represent a date of manufacture, the only date that matters is when it was installed in your house.

Default when installed?

Any ways to find out when it was installed that you suggest? I'm clueless. Thanks to all for your input and help.

Default pb

Since it was a repipe, the only way to determine the approximate age is the date on the pipe, but from your input, it appears that you are outside your window to qualify for replacement.