Basement Trap Question

Users who are viewing this thread

nyleak

Reaction score
Hello all-I have a clean out trap in my basement--It has 2 4 inch cleanouts--It has a U shape to it--Anyway--The pipe is strong and looks good--However we opened one of the 4" cleanouts and poured inacleaning acid-which went into the cesspool and dropped the level all the way down--The problem i'm left with is a SMALL hole developed under the U part of the trap (its cast iron) and about 30yrs old--The pipe is STRONG--I banged it hard--cleaned it up and put a little clear silicone adhesive--over the dry cleaned holeabout the size of a Pea--We are back in service and its been fine like that for 11months or more--MY question whithout tearing apart the basement and adding a new trap--Not into any of that right now--I was told by a pipe guy that i can use a fiberglass resin to wrap the pipe and kiss the problem goodbye--BTW I have a friend who patched a 275 gal oil tank like that 10 years ago--And that worked--he had a hole at the bottom of the tank.. I personally think this would work fine as the PIPE is strong and only has that pea size hole from the acid (MY STUPID MISTAKE)--The U trap isnt under any pressure--so the fiberglass should do wonders! Hell--if the Silicone adheasive is holding it fine for 11 months--A nice wrap of fiberglass should do it!

Thanks so much!! All have a great night!!

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
I would not patch it. I would replace it, or remove it if your local code allows it. If you think patching it will be ok then do it. I have seen some patches that were years old. I am not a big fan of patches, because they hide other problems. The drain cleaner you used could have exposed the leak by chance. Hitting cast iron with a hammer proves nothing. the place your hitting could be ok, but an inch away could be rotted big time.

nyleak

Reaction score
Trap

I understand what your saying--I did empty the trap and i cleaned the entire inside and out very well--I banged around at the hole and all around the hole--It was strong--Its not like the pipe is holding tons of water with tons of pressure--Its a cast iron pipe that the acid ate away at the bottom --because i didnt flush it well--I've seen this acid eat NEW pipe I've seen the acid eat right through many things.. Sufuric acid! When i tell you the hole was pea sized and no larger--there were no cracks--the pipe was in great condition...

nyleak

Reaction score
U Trap

Where would i find out if this TRAP can be bypassed? I live in NY

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Call your local building inspection department... Check the blue pages in your phone book. I believe they are required in NY.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks