Can I separate an ABS fitting?

Users who are viewing this thread

pjb

Reaction score
I have a new kitchen sink and would like to replace the wye fitting coming of the sanitary T. It is ABS. I would like to save the T and somehow cut out the short piece that is cemented into the female end on the T. Can this be done without damaging the T fitting? So, I have the T with the drain going down and the vent going up. I need to save that. Connecting the T to the wye is a short piece of ABS. I need to cut that out of the T.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
you can try - cut it off, then cut from the inside, ensuring you don't go into the fitting, and then using s thin screwdriver or something similar try to peel it out of there. Or, buy a drill bit made to ream out a fitting. Depends on angles and access...working under a sink can be a major pain.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
use a "Rambit"

reed-pipe-reamer-2.jpg

Reed pipe reamer, and a Ram Bit.

Last edited by a moderator:

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
The rambit is the easiest bet.

1 1/2" or 2" fittings are very difficult to do, but it can be done with a hack saw blade , thin screw driver and hammer.. Nothing is impossible. A big factor will be the age of the fittings and how often this drain has seen water temperature changes. The ABS tends to become brittle (glass like) when extreme heat and cooling over an extended period of time are introduced to the pipe and fittings.

Keep in mind that you run the risk of cracking the sanitary T at the hub.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
If you do try breaking it out fasten an automotive hose clamp around the hub to help keep it from breaking.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks