How to store a used pump?

Users who are viewing this thread

riccet

Reaction score
Hi, just recovered a 1998 jaccuzi deep well jet pump 5RP2 (separate pump/motor) and wish to store this for future use. Should I do anything special? This could be in storage for any number of years... Not sure if I should just drop it in a bucket of oil, or should I take the pump apart and rebuild it, etc?

Any thoughts appreciated!

Last edited:

Speedbump

Reaction score
I don't see where you would have to do anything special to store it.

If it's anything like the Jacuzzi Pool Pumps, the Dumpster might be a good place to store it.

bob...

Bill Arden

Computer Programmer
Reaction score
Website
www.billarden.com
I like to pour pure mineral oil in my cast iron pumps to force the water out so they don't rust. You can buy mineral oil at the grocery store.

riccet

Reaction score
If it's anything like the Jacuzzi Pool Pumps, the Dumpster might be a good place to store it.

bob...

LOL, I guess their airplanes weren't too hot either. From what I can tell around the web, this pump is used in some high end homes.

I like to pour pure mineral oil in my cast iron pumps to force the water out so they don't rust. You can buy mineral oil at the grocery store.

Thank you, that sounds like a plan. I actually have some around that I use to cure wood with.

Bill Arden

Computer Programmer
Reaction score
Website
www.billarden.com
Update:

I took one of the cast iron recirculating pumps out of storage and hooked it up.

I could not get it to push the air bubbles out of the loop, so I opened up the output and ran some water into a pail.

The water was frothy and slow for about 10 seconds and then took off and ran good.

So I am guessing that the oil was too viscus for this magnetically coupled pump.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks