Radiant floor heat design help

Users who are viewing this thread

Stilly

Reaction score
I am remodeling an old farm house, and want to put hydronic radiant floor heat in at least 4 rooms. I have looked and looked on the internet and finally found this forum.

I know that I am going to attach pex under the floor between the floor joists and cover with aluminum plates. Foil backed stryo insulation to seal the joists. Two rooms will have laminated wood flooring, and two rooms will have ceramic tile flooring. Four seperate zones.

I know that I would like to design a system with a six zone capability. Only using 4 to start.

Is there anyone here that can help me with the design of the manifold and pumping system? It is my intention to use a hot water heater as my heat source, and want a closed loop system. A simple diagram of parts and "flows" would be greatly appreciated. I have no idea where to start.

Stilly

Reaction score
More interested in finding someone with the knowledge to just tell me what "order" things go. I don't need an exact diagram, I just need to know where things go, and in what order.

Seaneys

Reaction score
More interested in finding someone with the knowledge to just tell me what "order" things go. I don't need an exact diagram, I just need to know where things go, and in what order.

I've recently added hydronic to my house. I went with one of the firms Frenchie recommended. They sized it, designed it, and shipped my pretty much everything I need. The prices were very reasonable and the quality of the fittings and components are more of a professional grade (not the cheap stuff at the local big box stores).

Set me a private message, and I'll confirm the name of the vendor I used.

Steve

Enosez

Reaction score

So you're basically looking for someone to do all of the design and layout and hand you a punch sheet with all of the materials you need.

good luck in getting that. ;)

Stilly

Reaction score
I am not looking for someone to design the system, telling what to use, but I need ideas on "where" components go, and in what order.

Actually Frenchie's list has help a lot!

Last edited:

Alternety

Like an engineer
Reaction score
Just don't buy a system that shares the hot water with both the radiant system and the DHW.

edlentz

Reaction score
I have had a "Staple Up" system for a couple of years. My brother in law did the same in an old farm house. He used a Point of use water heater, I used a boiler. He has trouble keeping his home warm, my system supplies all the heat I need and also my DHW . I spent more than he did but my system will last for alot longer than his will. The references given for the forums are very good ones. I searched the web for a long time, trying to get a "solution". I found a local supplier that took the time to explain what I needed and where it needed to be. He also sold me all I needed. The internet is a good source of information, but IMHO buying the heat source would not be a good idea.

Good luck

Steven62

Reaction score
Try calling Watts radiant, and asking for tech support in Hydronics. They will be glad to get you started, or fill in the blanks, as it looks like you are on the way. 800-276-2419 or 800-255-6108

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks