(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Radiant floor heat design help

Default Radiant floor heat design help

I am remodeling an old farm house, and want to put hydronic radiant floor heat in at least 4 rooms. I have looked and looked on the internet and finally found this forum.

I know that I am going to attach pex under the floor between the floor joists and cover with aluminum plates. Foil backed stryo insulation to seal the joists. Two rooms will have laminated wood flooring, and two rooms will have ceramic tile flooring. Four seperate zones.

I know that I would like to design a system with a six zone capability. Only using 4 to start.

Is there anyone here that can help me with the design of the manifold and pumping system? It is my intention to use a hot water heater as my heat source, and want a closed loop system. A simple diagram of parts and "flows" would be greatly appreciated. I have no idea where to start.

DIY scratch-pad engineer leejosepho's Avatar

You might begin with a web search for "hydronic" and go from there. You should have no problem finding all kinds of sites with components, diagrams and systems.

More interested in finding someone with the knowledge to just tell me what "order" things go. I don't need an exact diagram, I just need to know where things go, and in what order.

Master Plumber Mark:

there is nothing better than the
    manly smell of WD 40 in the air
    while banging away on brass with a chisel and hammer...

it smells like......victory......

do not hit your thumb...

Quote Originally Posted by Stilly View Post
    More interested in finding someone with the knowledge to just tell me what "order" things go. I don't need an exact diagram, I just need to know where things go, and in what order.
    I've recently added hydronic to my house. I went with one of the firms Frenchie recommended. They sized it, designed it, and shipped my pretty much everything I need. The prices were very reasonable and the quality of the fittings and components are more of a professional grade (not the cheap stuff at the local big box stores).

Set me a private message, and I'll confirm the name of the vendor I used.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Stilly View Post
    So you're basically looking for someone to do all of the design and layout and hand you a punch sheet with all of the materials you need.

good luck in getting that.

I am not looking for someone to design the system, telling what to use, but I need ideas on "where" components go, and in what order.

Actually Frenchie's list has help a lot!
    Last edited by Stilly; 03-18-2008 at 02:29 PM.

Just don't buy a system that shares the hot water with both the radiant system and the DHW.

I am planning on having a seperate source for the radiant.

I have had a "Staple Up" system for a couple of years. My brother in law did the same in an old farm house. He used a Point of use water heater, I used a boiler. He has trouble keeping his home warm, my system supplies all the heat I need and also my DHW . I spent more than he did but my system will last for alot longer than his will. The references given for the forums are very good ones. I searched the web for a long time, trying to get a "solution". I found a local supplier that took the time to explain what I needed and where it needed to be. He also sold me all I needed. The internet is a good source of information, but IMHO buying the heat source would not be a good idea.

Good luck

Try calling Watts radiant, and asking for tech support in Hydronics. They will be glad to get you started, or fill in the blanks, as it looks like you are on the way. 800-276-2419 or 800-255-6108